Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade from a 7 foot haybine to a used 9 foot discbine. I went and looked at a Case IH DCX91 discbine today. The guy that has it said it hasn't been used in 4-5 years but it has been stored inside. The sheet metal on the machine is in great shape and there is hardly any play in the cutterbar. The rollers are in great shape as well. The only thing I noticed today is as I spun the cutterbar, the two blades on the last turtle barley hit the cutter bar. I'm not sure what this problem could be. The bar is not worn any like the blades were rubbing it when the mower was in operation but the blades are scraping it now. I have attached a picture of where it is scrapping with a red arrow pointing to where its hitting. The mower is also 100 miles from me. Does anyone have any ideas on hauling it home? I have heard of people loading them sideways on a trailer and removing the tongue. Any advice is appreciated.. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could the blades just be bent down? Couple of new knifes may be a cheap fix. I loaded mine (nh 9’ version but same machine) sideways on a drop deck and look the pro shaft and hydraulic ram out and the tongue will swing around to the side. If u can miss the interstate they pull good behind a truck, just a little wide on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Could the blades just be bent down? Couple of new knifes may be a cheap fix. I loaded mine (nh 9' version but same machine) sideways on a drop deck and look the pro shaft and hydraulic ram out and the tongue will swing around to the side. If u can miss the interstate they pull good behind a truck, just a little wide on the passenger side.
What valley forage said... Don't bother trying to take the tongue the whole way off. Swing it over and chain it fast. You will be just a hair over 102 wide if you do it right..

·
Registered
548 Posts
Could be those two blades just are bent and need to be replaced. The one in the picture looks a little worn. If they are bent at all there is a slight amount of play in them anyway and sometimes doesn't take much for them to scrape when turning by hand.

For just 100 miles I think I'd consider just pulling it home. Be a lot quicker than turning sideways on a trailer and pulling the tongue around.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Knife is bent from hitting rock replace with new knife should be fixed. Other possibilities are bent turtle or even cracked turtle not a deal breaker. If you do buy it when you change oil in cutter bar modules inspect turtles care fully for cracks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I look at the pictures I took, that is what I am leaning towards. The blades on the end turtle do look a bit bent down more than the others.... Any idea of what would cause that? Thank you for the quick feedback as well.

·
Goontard
1,788 Posts
I wouldn't throw out the possibility of a bent blade, but I have had that problem far more often with a worn bolt. The blade bolt has a head on it like a large rivet and the head has a square (perpendicular to the bolt shaft) shoulder; as the bolt head wears a little, it wears the head's shoulder and allows the blade to droop. I've heard it recommended that the bolts be changed every two sets of blades (but that was from a parts salesman), and those blades look pretty worn to me. I would recommend to put new set of blades and bolts on it and suspect your problem will be cured.

FYI, I'm a cheap-skate and will sharpen blades, weigh them on a digital scale, pair them up by weight, and continue to reuse them as long as practical. The bolts, on the other hand, I will used for one set of blades, turn the bolt ½ turn for the next set of blades, then replace bolt. Local joint gets nearly $4 per bolt/nut, but I found 'em on innerweb much cheaper and bought 100 of em....ain't worth blade contacting cutterbar.

Mark

·
182 Posts
It could be the blades are bent or the hole in the blade where it is bolted to the turtle is oblonged and has alot of play in it.

Happened alot to my outside blades on my old nh 1431.
I think the holes oblong more on the outside more because if your cutting the full width all the time, the blades swing more. Sometimes cutting, sometimes not cutting.

Grab the blade and see how much it moves vertically.

Only my theory though.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
I've had a few that do that, once running they don't touch anymore. If they do usually a new blade and either a new nut or rotating the nut 180 will stop it as well.

Reactions: Hay4610
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.