Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,912 Posts
We wean with our catch pen. The cows and calves can see each other. One or two may even nurse if they get their heads through the panels and the momma lines up just right. I believe we are breaking the emotional bond more than the milk. After four days the Momma cows have all quit sleeping by the pen. We then move the calves to another pasture. Momma cows are not walking the pasture looking for babies. We keep a different cow or two with the calves. The calves do not really seem that upset by the process.

·
3,912 Posts
We wean at home, put the calves in the catch pen with hay, water and a self feeder. After 4 day to a week, we move the calves to another pasture. The other pasture is where some were born and the momma cows are moved here when we wean. It is more work moving them but I like how it has worked out. All of the calves are moved to the same pasture to finish weaning. That allows us to use a self feeder with out the momma cows eating it. Have one old dry pet cow there to keep an eye on them.
I do not mind feeding calves. I believe it makes us money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.