Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
The only reason you would give them any grain would be to get them used to coming up to eat so you can check on them and to mix in your salt, minerals, selenium, and vitamins. Wouldn't have to be much in the feed some molasses to hold it together and something with bulk and not alot of feed value. Calving cows right now that are only getting good quality hay and calves are coming out good size but not too big so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they are fixing to calf soon. That answers my question. Mainly wanting to give them enough grain so they will come in every day, but not give them too much. They have plenty of high quality forage. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So the first year I bough 9 bred heifers. I grained them a little bit all along. The first heifer had her calf and when I found it in the morning the calf was dead, it was a nice big bull calf. I also pull 3 cavies that spring with these 9 heifers. My friend that I bought them from said he had hardly pull that many calves in 20 years.

I will grain them after they have a calf on the ground, but not while their bred. I haven't pull a calf sense. even heifers out of those cows. That's my two cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts