Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a about 8 acres of orchard grass/mixed stuff hay. Co-op has a nice pasture mix that I'm thinking of over seeding with, will I do ok just hand spreading it? over the should bag and walking? And then do I have to drag the field with a harrow or a couple cattle panels bolted together or? to get the seed to ground contact

Thanks! New farmer, who has not much equipment and has learned a lot from just reading past posts on here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’m just a little north of you (Augusta County). Typically fall seeded grass needs to be planted 8/15-9/15 in our area to get a good stand started before winter. Last fall you could have pushed that some as it was a warm fall and very late frost, but this year the frosts started early to mid October which is average. Your next window will be wait and try it in the spring 3/15-4/15. Trouble with inter seeding in the spring though is competition from the existing stand shading out the new seeding during the spring flush. So if it was me I’d try for early next fall. And either rent a no-till drill or hire a neighbor to drill it in. Broadcasting grass seed into an already established stand will have some of it take hold but far less than if it’s drilled. Just not enough soil contact unless you have major bare areas.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That bag of pasture mix you bought is probably quite expensive, no way I'd be hand sowing that and hoping it takes...it just won't. Been down that road several times in my pastures. You'd have better luck if you were to harrow the field first to get some soil exposed, seed on that, and then cultipack or roll it into the soil. I wouldn't be seeding anything this late into the season, but I'm not exactly an expert on that either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in East TN. Due to the weather being so dry, what I drilled into pasture, annual ryegrass, in August is just now coming up. Probably 2 or 3 weeks since it sprouted. I fear it won't make it through winter.

You'd be best off to wait til spring. Or... if you are dead set on getting it out now, I would rent a pasture/sod drill and go at it. I used a haybuster 77 borrowed from a local COOP. It worked well.

Being that it's drilled, it's roots will be in safer territory, not just on top of the ground. And if it doesn't sprout this Fall, it'll come up in spring just as soon as it gets the appropriate weather. It won't be laying atop the ground for critters and birds to grub on.

End of August thru the end of September is ideal planting time for our area. Always have the weather variable though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts