Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking at adding a Tedder. We do mainly grass hay and will be square bailing. Tedders are not very common here, and with in 3 hours I’ve found a place selling Sitrex 2 basket Tedder for sale. What are problem areas to look at? Also most seem to be the basket style but I did see one that has a reel on it. Is one better than the other? What brands are good to be looking for? Thanks for any recommendations

· Registered
132 Posts
I use a Kuhn 2 basket tedder; it’s definitely not new. Check the usual things- grease fittings that look like they’ve been greased, PTO driveline, slip in the gearboxes. They’re pretty simole machines. I make grass hay and run a tedder over all of it. It dries it down at least a day, maybe two days faster.

· Hay Master
1,164 Posts
How many acres are you haying? A two basket tedder would suffice for small acreage, but most would want at least a four basket tedder.

As far as what to look for? Look for obvious signs of damage. Outside basket from running into obstacles such as fence posts. Inside basket from running into the rear tire caused by turning too sharply. Other than that, the usual stuff as MTB98 pointed out.

· Registered
5,569 Posts
I’ve made this point many times, but if you’re looking at two basket/rotor/spinner/star/whatever models, the brand about doesn’t matter. Failure points in tedders are from stress or abuse, usually manifesting in the wing pivots, of what a two star has none. There isn’t much to go wrong in them compared to any larger model, so if the bearings in the center gearbox are good and it’s in time, don’t worry what color it is.

· Registered
1,517 Posts
I used to own a Sitrex tedder and it did a very good job. Was light weight, but also used another heavier-built Sitrex tedder and was also good.

I then sold that and upgraded to a Kuhn horizontal fold 4-basket tedder. It didn't last long with me. I didn't like it because it didn't do a good job tedding though it was built heavier. I sold it and bought an Agco (made by Enorossi) vertical fold. It's much lighter weight and I had a catastrophic issue with the failure point noted by HiTech in the wing pivot, which required me to COMPLETELY tear down the entire tedder and do some pretty extensive work to it. Fortunately they are very simple machines so they are easy to tear down and rebuild, and it wasn't too expensive. It just took some time, but it was kind of fun.

The reel type tedders are more commonly known as 'fluffers' and they just fluff a windrow up but don't spread it out.

My advice: with the acreage you're wanting to do, get a 4 basket, vertical fold tedder of whatever you can find locally that doesn't look like a complete basket case (no pun intended!). My Agco was in nice condition (until a pin came out on the articulating arm from stripped threads resulting in the internal drive shaft getting bent and damaging the u joints at that end as well) and I paid $4k for it.

If you do get a vertical fold, pay close attention to the articulating arm joints and connections and make sure they are always tight.

I've made several videos on tedders I'll link here for your education. The first one is general information but the last one will be useful for you too as you may have an instance where you need to retime your tedder. The middle one really just shows how simple they are. Some pinion gears and a shaft and that's it.

· Registered
29 Posts
Probably every hay producer should own a tedder. If your hay gets rained on, then that's when they are valued the most to speed along drying/curing. I don't have much to add to the above comments. We have a two basked and a vertical fold John Deere 4 basket. The only thing on our vertical fold if if you store it with the wings up, make sure the wheels are back as far as possible putting weight on the tongue hitch before unhooking. Othwerwise it will flip on its back.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a 4 basket john deere. I bought it used and got a deal on it. But that being said i only tedded when i get hay rained on, It's hard to move and i put up hay all over the place. It's also one more thing to move.
I don't know what everyone thinks if you lose any hay especially clover when you move one more time.

Good luck
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts