Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
(snip)

The safety folks wouldn't like this but I removed all the pto guards off my tractors. I physically could not reach in under the fixed ones to depress the button and line up the splines.
Yeah, me too... the old 6600 Ford's shield "pinned on" with a lynch pin, but I guess they figured that was too easy to remove them and leave them off, so the 5610s that replaced it had hinged guards bolted to the PTO housing, with some sort of "flip pin" to allow you to flip it up "out of the way" (which WASN'T out of the way enough...)

Pulled four bolts and tossed the thing in the back of the shop at the floor of the spare parts wall shelving... been there ever since...

I prefer to have good working PTO shaft guards/tubes (unfortunately some of our stuff had steel PTO shaft guards and tubes and those are a nightmare when they get dented, so some of them have been taken off and tossed. Personally I don't get close enough to the tractor shaft to worry about getting into it...

Later! OL J R :)

·
5,749 Posts
My two big concerns are post hole diggers and augers - both often run while the person is right there. I've looked into a hydraulic drive auger which adds the benefit of reverse too but haven't pull trigger.

I don't currently have a pto driven auger but I'm pretty careful at friends grain bin site. I've yelled at him for picking bits out of the swing away hopper with his fingers while it's running. The flighting was knocking his hand as he fished around.

Personally I don't get close enough to the tractor shaft to worry about getting into it...

·
Registered
246 Posts
In my experience, hooking the PTO up is typically a whole lot easier than hooking up a 3 point hitch. The only gripe I've ever had with hooking up PTO shafts is what my hands typically look like when I'm done man handling one that the U joints have been over greased on...Now who can I blame for that :huh:... but this thing won't help that problem.

I'm all for gadgets that save time and effort, but it seems to me that this one is for people that are newbies or not very mechanical. I have a neighbor that's fairly new to the whole farming thing, and he told me one time, with embarrassment, that he spent an hour and a half trying to hook up a post hole digger to his tractor (both of which were mostly new). Well... I guess we all have to start somewhere.

·
1,509 Posts
The PTO quick connects that bug me, are the ones that require one to pull back a collar while pushing forward the joint! :rolleyes: :p :huh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I watched it a couple of times and finally saw the pin. But I still think there might be a problem if you scalped some ground while shredding. I would think that pin would shear.

Ralph
Only if you're lucky. If you're like me, it would bend just enough to wedge in there and fuse the two pieces together ending up making them something for the scrap heap.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yup to all the above! My Dads 2120 NH is a ball bag to attach the pto shaft on! That damned cover is always in the way and it is not at the correct height so it messes everything up... My Case/David Brown 1594 on the other hand is a dream to connect in every way! The visibility is outstanding to hook up stuff and has plenty of room to connect the hydraulics.
There is a lot to ne said about angles and pivot points NO DOUT! The hitch to pto dims make a huge difference WHEN turning!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
My two big concerns are post hole diggers and augers - both often run while the person is right there. I've looked into a hydraulic drive auger which adds the benefit of reverse too but haven't pull trigger.

I don't currently have a pto driven auger but I'm pretty careful at friends grain bin site. I've yelled at him for picking bits out of the swing away hopper with his fingers while it's running. The flighting was knocking his hand as he fished around.
Yeah, that IS pretty stupid... Not respecting an auger will earn you a new nickname-- "Stumpy"...

All we've got is an ancient Danuser post hole digger that had some weird ancient crane design made specifically to fit on a Ford 8N or Golden Jubilee tractor. Once the last one of them left the place, we sorta cobbled it onto the 6600 Ford, but it was a major PITA to hook up, so I ordered a new "universal" type Danuser crane/hitch for it and took it up the dealer to have them mount it, since they had to bore the holes in the box "ears" from tapered auto-style ball joints on the old crane to the regular 1" (IIRC) steel bar/pin used on the regular Danuser diggers sold for the last 3 decades or so... Works like a champ now...

Only thing I don't really like about it is that if you hit something, it busts a shear bolt and then you have to unscrew the auger out of the ground with a pipe wrench. Otherwise, never had a problem with it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts