Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Hay Master
4,993 Posts
I really, really like the idea. Have often thought about (more literally cussed) that there must be an easier way, especially when hooking up a CV joint on a shaft that hadn't been used for a while. Like my 1000 RPM 2615 Bush Hog shredder.

But, I have to wonder what happens with this gizmo if you hit something, like a stump when shredding, that slows the implement down while the tractor's pto shaft is running. Isn't there a risk that this coupling would come off?

Ralph

·
2,674 Posts
You still have to turn the pto by hand to get the lock pin in. Probably works fine for small equipment, would not want to use it with the 2615.

The other problem will be with equal angle ptos since you are changing the distance between the hitch pin and the end of this new hub by about three inches.

You may also need to shorten pto shafts on some equipment or the shaft may bottom out.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I will let somebody else test it. I run small equipment but a `7' field chopper is still enough of a flywheel to throw the shaft around for awhile if it got loose. A wire brush in the spring does help with the cussing, but it doesn't eliminate it.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,736 Posts
Poor alternative to existing solutions to the problem. Either free rotation drivelines like New Holland uses on their round balers or an over-running clutch on the implement end of the PTO will do the same as this deal with out the risk. Any kind of an adapter on the tractor PTO stub increases the chance of snapping the stub off. I drilled a $250 post hole to learn that lesson. Plus there will be more driveline vibration.

·
5,749 Posts
One of those spring loaded tool assist lanyards used on assembly lines with a hook to grab the pto would sure help on big cv drivelines. Maybe keep it positioned while you stick a bar in the yoke to get it turned.

The safety folks wouldn't like this but I removed all the pto guards off my tractors. I physically could not reach in under the fixed ones to depress the button and line up the splines.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts