Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a duck bill question. I have a NH 644 round baler and the duck bill for the wrap does not grab (pinch) the wrap and hold it. I think that it should pull fairly easy toward the bale but should not pull back, towards the tractor. The wrap seems to be falling out of the duck bill and then does not wrap the full width of the bale every time. I tried to adjust according to the manual and then tightened more and it makes no difference. Is there something in there that wears out? Also the wrap is not cutting evenly, even though the knife seems sharp. I think that the wrap is snapping back and then falling out of the duck bill, because it is not tight. Any thoughts? Thanks, Kurt

·
2,499 Posts
If the lower baffle plate does not contact the top duckbill plate, and can not be adjusted so the baffle does contact the top plate, then the baffle probably is bent down and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have access to a large sheet metal brake. What are the chances of bending it back into the proper position and having it stay there?

·
2,499 Posts
If you have the time it should work. Be prepared to install and remove several times. You do not want the baffle so tight against the top plate so it restricts net spread.

·
7 Posts
Had a similar issue quite a few years ago. The wrap on the right hand side was always going slack at the start of a bale and would take nearly a wrap and a half to get full width. I adjusted, readjusted, baled, cursed, etc... Finally pulled the assembly out to look at it and found the duckbill frame work to be bend. I placed it in a large sheet metal brake and got it back to where I thought it was straight. Fixed the problem...I still have wrapping issues, but fixed that problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the lower duckbill out and flattened it more. I took out about 1/8th of an inch. Oddly, it appeared that the outer edges (about to 5 inches in) were bent down a little more than the center. was equal on both sides, but I made the duckbill straight anyway. Now it is better but the wrap still does not want to go all of the way to the edge. It wants to move to the center, by about 4 to 5 inches. Sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left and sometimes on both edges and occasionally make a good bale, with wrap all of the way to the edges. I can watch the wrap feed in and it appears to pull the center of it in and the outside edges pull in slower, then want to fold in toward the center. I have the brake tension on all of the way and the net feeds in tight in the center and baggy at the edges. I still think the duckbill needs to be bent more at the edges. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts