Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a duck bill question. I have a NH 644 round baler and the duck bill for the wrap does not grab (pinch) the wrap and hold it. I think that it should pull fairly easy toward the bale but should not pull back, towards the tractor. The wrap seems to be falling out of the duck bill and then does not wrap the full width of the bale every time. I tried to adjust according to the manual and then tightened more and it makes no difference. Is there something in there that wears out? Also the wrap is not cutting evenly, even though the knife seems sharp. I think that the wrap is snapping back and then falling out of the duck bill, because it is not tight. Any thoughts? Thanks, Kurt

·
2,558 Posts
If the lower baffle plate does not contact the top duckbill plate, and can not be adjusted so the baffle does contact the top plate, then the baffle probably is bent down and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have access to a large sheet metal brake. What are the chances of bending it back into the proper position and having it stay there?

·
2,558 Posts
If you have the time it should work. Be prepared to install and remove several times. You do not want the baffle so tight against the top plate so it restricts net spread.

·
7 Posts
Had a similar issue quite a few years ago. The wrap on the right hand side was always going slack at the start of a bale and would take nearly a wrap and a half to get full width. I adjusted, readjusted, baled, cursed, etc... Finally pulled the assembly out to look at it and found the duckbill frame work to be bend. I placed it in a large sheet metal brake and got it back to where I thought it was straight. Fixed the problem...I still have wrapping issues, but fixed that problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the lower duckbill out and flattened it more. I took out about 1/8th of an inch. Oddly, it appeared that the outer edges (about to 5 inches in) were bent down a little more than the center. was equal on both sides, but I made the duckbill straight anyway. Now it is better but the wrap still does not want to go all of the way to the edge. It wants to move to the center, by about 4 to 5 inches. Sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left and sometimes on both edges and occasionally make a good bale, with wrap all of the way to the edges. I can watch the wrap feed in and it appears to pull the center of it in and the outside edges pull in slower, then want to fold in toward the center. I have the brake tension on all of the way and the net feeds in tight in the center and baggy at the edges. I still think the duckbill needs to be bent more at the edges. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kurt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the lower duckbill plate and adjusted it more, with no good results. It just wont hold the net in place on either side. The net comes off of the spreader roller at full width and then vee's in toward the center, as it goes into the duckbill. I have a new lower plate on order. I sure hope that is the fix!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put the new duckbill on and things are better, but I still have an occasional bale that the net does not spread to one side or the other I had 3 out of 17 bales that did this yesterday. The new duckbill pinches the net at the edges and in the center. There is about an eighth inch gap above the second and fourth mounting bolt. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but it will not tighten up and flatten out, so it touches the upper plate the full length. After several hours of fighting and observing this in action, I now wonder if the problem may be a dull knife? It feels kind of sharp, but I don't know how sharp it is supposed to be. It does not cut the wrap nice and cleanly, it is a very ragged and uneven cut. The Pritchett wrap that I am using is really tough stuff! When I cut it with my pocket knife, it does not all cut and if I try to break a couple of strands by hand, it will slice into my skin, rather than break!

My new theory is that it is not cutting the wrap evenly, because the knife is dull, so when the net starts to feed in, it doesn't pull evenly, so the edge of the wrap is slack, letting it drift into the center. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Again, how sharp should the knife be and how do you check it?
Thanks,
Kurt

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,600 Posts
If in doubt, sharpen the knife. Should be near enough to razor sharp.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Agree, sharpen the knife, it will only take a few minutes, but I’m not confident that’s going to help. Even if you’re getting a lousy cut, it should still be spreading the full width of the bale within the first revolution.

I’m curious if you’re getting occasional debris that empties when you dump the bale but is enough to prevent wrap distribution on occasion. Of course it might still be your duckbill too.

·
2,558 Posts
These older balers do not spread edge to edge just like other brand balers of the same vintage did not spread edge to edge. Two to three inches off the edge is not unusual.

Have you checked the rubber pad on the brake bar for wear? How many springs do you have on each side of the brake bar, one or two? I think three can be installed, but I have never seen it. lack of net tension will also cause poor cutting Along with poor spreading. If you see the net roll rotate after the knife drops, you do not have enough braking action.

With only one spreader roll which is not very close to the bale, the balers net spread is more sensitive to uneven bales

If the baffle is too tight the net will not spread out. You only need the baffle tight enough to keep the net from popping back out of the duckbill when cut.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the best way to sharpen the knife? Remove, place in a vice and file? I assumed that it had to go to a machine shop.

I was going to add that I have tried the tension in all ways possible. I have even put the roll in as described for the "Black" net. I have the best results routing it for white net with one spring on each side on the lower tension pin. If I have more tension on it, it is more likely to not spread. When it does not spread, it is on one side or the other, usually the left (from the tractor seat) and it leaves about 1/4 of the bale unwrapped. As described by Mike 10, when it makes a good bale, the net is in 2-3 inches frim the edge.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I most recently removed my knife and sharpened it with a flap disc on my angle grinder. A belt sander would be great. You could file it if you have time on your hands.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
These older balers do not spread edge to edge just like other brand balers of the same vintage did not spread edge to edge. Two to three inches off the edge is not unusual.
JD 467/567 certainly isn't one of the other brand balers of same vintage you refer to that won't spread edge to edge wrap because my baler spreads wrap evenly across the formed bale.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,600 Posts
7 series Deeres would be newer than the NH balers discussed here. Would be more like the 535 era.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What yr models were NH 644? Tractorhouse listed some '98 models. Although I owned a JD 466 that were built between '96-'00 but it didn't have netwrap the 66 series net attachment closely resembles 467/567 net attachment much more than 435/535 attachment than I did own with netwrap that I agree would not put net on bale correctly. Unfortunately my 435 with net accidently turned into a Crispy Critter from a failed lower tailgate brg!!!

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,600 Posts
I’m not familiar with all the years of the NH 600 generations. I just know that the BR700 series was introduced in 2003 I think and that would be when NH got their net system to get a full edge to edge coverage. Breaking the BR series down a little, with the introduction of the BR7000 NH was able to get 64” net pulled over the edge of the bale by a few strands.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
644 was 1995-1998 according to parts diagram online.

I have one and think I get excellent net coverage, so maybe the system wasn’t as good then but it’s a fully functional system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts