Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a used SFI 135/AgroMaster DM2555. I used it for the first time today and WOW! It was a pleasure cutting with. My only issue is it cuts way too short..... I spoke with the original owner and he said he put a "lift kit" in it and that raised it to a cutting height of 2.5". He said without it, it cut at 1". Holly COW!!! I've never cut hay this short before. I usually shoot for 4-5" for quick bounce back and we graze a few cows on it. Keep in mind, we are a very small 7 acres operation, lol.

There is very little information on "lift kits" out there and I can't really tell exactly what it is. But, I think its just spaces on the three mounting bolts that hold the skid saucer to the cutting drum. I'm wondering if I could just build my own shim kit, use longer bolts and see what happens? Any thoughts?

I'm confident I have it set up correctly. Anyways, do I have any options? I only cut half an acre today because I don't want to ruin the pasture we've spent so many years building up. We are in a very dry climate, NW Wyoming.

Thank you so very much in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats it. I have the same mower for my little tractor. I use mine without the "lift kit" doughnut and I don't have any issues with grass coming back. You can angle the cutter front edge up by extending the top link a little bit. I've been using mine 5 years now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats it. I have the same mower for my little tractor. I use mine without the "lift kit" doughnut and I don't have any issues with grass coming back. You can angle the cutter front edge up by extending the top link a little bit. I've been using mine 5 years now.
Thanks for the reply BirdDoc! Are you familiar with the "lift kit"? Is it basically just a spacer? Is it something I could fabricate taller and just use longer bolts to fasten it to the drum?

Also, where did you buy yours? I'm thinking I may buy another lift kit and see if I can stack them. It seems the cutting drum operates independently of the skid saucer, so I don't think there should be any vibration or out-of-balance type issues. Has anyone else tried this?

We are just really dry here, basically desert with the benefit of irrigation water. But irrigation only comes every 3-4 weeks.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine came from Small Farm Innovations out of Texas. Theres a big bearing at the bottom of the drum that the disk rides on. The doughnut stacks on that to raise the height of the cutting drum by lowering the disk. The blades are attached to the upper part. What happens is that you open up the gap between the upper and lower disk. I don't know if thats such a great idea. Your call though, give it a shot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tried a drum mower cut great....sold it because of low cut height....couldn't come up with a good viable solution...good luck let us know what you come up with....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine came from Small Farm Innovations out of Texas. Theres a big bearing at the bottom of the drum that the disk rides on. The doughnut stacks on that to raise the height of the cutting drum by lowering the disk. The blades are attached to the upper part. What happens is that you open up the gap between the upper and lower disk. I don't know if thats such a great idea. Your call though, give it a shot.
Thanks BirdDoc!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried a drum mower cut great....sold it because of low cut height....couldn't come up with a good viable solution...good luck let us know what you come up with....
Understand. the low cut is really bothering me. What did you end up buying? And did it provide the cutting height you desired?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Understand. the low cut is really bothering me. What did you end up buying? And did it provide the cutting height you desired?
I took a big step and a neighbor had a lightly used jd 630 moco I added the high cut kit...cut at around 6" ....but it takes a bigger tractor....Its the only implement that requires a over 50hp tractor......I was hoping to stay with smaller more fuel efficient tractors....but it's a heck of a cutting machine

·
247 Posts
Drum mowers have a bigger cutting diameter (drum much bigger than a disc.) Rock it back, (and raise the cutting height) by adjusting the top link..... longer. That raises the front of the drum. A little adjustment makes a big difference in drum cutting height. Simple geometry.

·
247 Posts
Test it. Mow round 1, then stop, lengthen the top link 1/2 inch, mow another round 2, then lengthen the top link 1/2 inch. mow another round 3. Top link length is critical with a drum mower.
Now compare the 3 rounds. for mowing height.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Test it. Mow round 1, then stop, lengthen the top link 1/2 inch, mow another round 2, then lengthen the top link 1/2 inch. mow another round 3. Top link length is critical with a drum mower.
Now compare the 3 rounds. for mowing height.
Won’t the blades just cut lower in the back then?

never been around a drum mower so maybe I’m missing something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The theory is that the grass is laid down under the drum and doesn't spring back up before the blades and the mower have already moved on. Or something like that.

·
247 Posts
Won’t the blades just cut lower in the back then?

never been around a drum mower so maybe I’m missing something.
Not really sure why, but the rear blade does not the grass. I think the stubble is held down under the drum and does not spring up fast enough to get cut by the rear blade. Anyway, it works, so I'll keep mowing and adjusting drum height like I have for the last dozen years or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts