Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,814 Posts
Not really, I rely more upon local information from the University Ag Extension recommendations, local NRCS agent thoughts, and leaflets supplied by the area seed suppliers. I do look over the NAFA leaflet though.

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
Yes the University studies are not as all inclusive as the varieties booklet. .

My opinion is only the seed tested are those that are subsidized by the seed companies.

That or the Universities will only look at varieties that are given to them .

In the good old days Oklahoma would run comparisons in 4 differing soil and climate types.

Each series would have public domain alfalfa Ok 49 represented. In any contest the public alfalfa would be in the top three or 4.

The breeders will have to bring up the resistance to two to four new aphid pests.

I find the seed sellers will push the seed that they were sold. I still see growers who look for cost first are sold CUF 101 in Texas. Might as well plant Hairy Peruvian and invite all the pest to come and feed.

What I look for is a pest score and the best over all is what I choose from. For now I am using WL 354 HQ for its aphid resistance and aph race 1 and 2.

It may sound strange but a FD 4 will resist the alfalfa weevil than any FD 7 or 8.

The Universities are good but they are not perfect.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Forage/PR676.pdf

For growers in the eastern Corn Belt and Mid South read this from U of KY

If you are in Idaho consider attending their Hay Association Conference in Jan or Feb.

Your Extension Forage Specialest is excellent.

2015 Idaho Hay and Forage Conference

Our 2015 Conference is scheduled for February 26-27, 2015 at the Best Western Burley Inn in Burley, Idaho. Conference registration, vendor/exhibitor, and sponsorship information will be available here soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.