Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m back, for being able to cut all types of fields, And selling hay not end user, dont know where I might go and what kind of pasture or how rough it will be, which one would be the best all around, my cousin that bales hay for himself, he has cows, say not to by a conditioner because of rocks,other debris, etc.. and said to get a shaft drive instead of belt drive mower, but I thought hey were all belts on the pulleys from the shaft, what’s he talking about? When your thinking i would like to know the width you recommend too, will probably have a 75 engine hp tractor fyi. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much and what type of hay will you be cutting? Also, where are you locate

If you'll be running rocks and sticks through your mower, can you really consider it hay?
paoutdoorsman, I’m starting in hay business here in Ga.i have a lot of friends and family,(widows) that have been paying to have their hay fields bush hogged and I’m going to start fertilizing and treating them to get them back to good hay, mostly fescue,Bermuda. Thanks
My Krone AM283S is shaft drive. It will cut tough grasses such as Love grass where belt drive disc cutter wouldn't.
Thanks Tx Jim, I wished you were here in GA, I would love to drain your brain! That’s what I was looking at the krone, I think yours is 9ft right? Is that what you would recommend for me?

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
JLT
You're welcome & yes my Krone cuts a 9'3'' swath. IMHO Krone builds a good cutter & blades are very reasonable in price.

Last time I was in Georgia was about 25 yrs ago to watch my youngest daughter graduate from Georgia Southern Univ. 4 yrs after that she moved across highway from my place so I have no need to travel to Ga.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Less stress on a cutterbar that is fully suspended in a frame of a trailed mo co. I've had 2 John deeres in the last 28 years. First one was still in perfect condition after 17 years when I traded it on the 2nd one. 1460 traded on a 946. 1460 was always behind a 100hp tractor . Never touched the cutter bar in all that time. And only ever had 1 bearing fail on the conditioners. Wish the 946 was like that. Heavy rollers mean I regularly have to replace conditioner bearings. No cutterbar issues though. I've just bought a 2nd machine as well. Another 946, 5 years old. Should be delivered this week coming.

·
Registered
JD 2840, Ford 8000, Ford 8n, Ford 3600 (in progress); NH H6750, NH 850
34 Posts
If you are just mowing grasses and don't really need to crimp stems, you would be fine running a disc mower. That's what I'm doing.

Heck of a lot cheaper too. I can normally find a decent used 9" 3 point mower for around 5-6k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts