Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be spraying 28 on my hay using teejet sj7 streamjet nozzles. I want to apply around 50lbs per acre of nitrogen with would equate to 5 gallons. I was going to use a ratio of 5 gallons of 28 with 15 gallon of water and spray at a rate of 20 gallons per acre. But I have heard some people just apply straight 28 without diluting it so then that would be just a rate of 5 gallons per acre. Which is better? I figure that the water will help it absorb into the soil better.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If it’s 28% N, I’m coming up with 178 gallons per acre.

178 gal *0.28=50

Am I missing something here?

·
Hay Master
4,931 Posts
To answer your question: Yes.

My 200 gallon sprayer works best when delivering 20gpa/40 psi/5MPH using SJ3 nozzles. I dilute with water to get the to that 20 gpa number. I use SJ3's to avoid burning the leaves in the summer.

Here's the numbers I use:

28% = 2.9# N/Gal
= 10.6 #/Gal
= 189 Gals/Ton
= 548 # N/Ton

Example:

For 40 #N/AC: 40#N /2.9 #/Gal = 13.8 Gals 28 per acre.

To get 20 gpa, add 60 gal water/140 gals 28. (I like to round off to make the arithmetic easier.)

For 40 ac @ 40#N/ac = 13.8 Gals 28 * 40 = 552 Gals 28 = (552 Gals * 10.6#28/Gal = 2.93 Tons 28)

Hope this helps.

Ralph
And I hope my math is right!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer your question: Yes.

My 200 gallon sprayer works best when delivering 20gpa/40 psi/5MPH using SJ3 nozzles. I dilute with water to get the to that 20 gpa number. I use SJ3's to avoid burning the leaves in the summer.

Here's the numbers I use:

28% = 2.9# N/Gal
= 10.6 #/Gal
= 189 Gals/Ton
= 548 # N/Ton

Example:

For 40 #N/AC: 40#N /2.9 #/Gal = 13.8 Gals 28 per acre.

To get 20 gpa, add 60 gal water/140 gals 28. (I like to round off to make the arithmetic easier.)

For 40 ac @ 40#N/ac = 13.8 Gals 28 * 40 = 552 Gals 28 = (552 Gals * 10.6#28/Gal = 2.93 Tons 28)

Hope this helps.

Ralph
And I hope my math is right!
Yeah looks correct to me. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
36 Posts
Straight 28 will burn grass if applied in the sun during hot weather. Try to spray in the evening when a rain is coming overnight. Water and sulphur added does help reduce some burn. I always went with a 30 gallon per acre solution to have more water using stream bars so they aren't height sensitive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would rain not happening for a couple days cause a problem with burn or even volatility?

·
Hay Master
4,931 Posts
Straight 28 will burn grass if applied in the sun during hot weather. Try to spray in the evening when a rain is coming overnight. Water and sulphur added does help reduce some burn. I always went with a 30 gallon per acre solution to have more water using stream bars so they aren't height sensitive.
I agree----28 needs to be rained in, preferably within 24 hrs to avoid burning and loss due to volitazation. I've been applying the summer go as soon as possible after the first cut. I run SJ3s to avoid leaf contact.

I was not aware that sulphur helped.

Ralph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree----28 needs to be rained in, preferably within 24 hrs to avoid burning and loss due to volitazation. I've been applying the summer go as soon as possible after the first cut. I run SJ3s to avoid leaf contact.

I was not aware that sulphur helped.

Ralph
Would 3 gallons of water with 17 gallon of 28 at 20GPA still cause burn?

·
Hay Master
4,931 Posts
Would 3 gallons of water with 17 gallon of 28 at 20GPA still cause burn?
Depends--97.6453Z% probably--1) when it rains, 2) crop height (freshly mowed or has substantial regrowth), 3) temperature, 4) nozzles used, 5) spray height, and 6) 16384 other factors.

Helps?

Ralph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends--97.6453Z% probably--1) when it rains, 2) crop height (freshly mowed or has substantial regrowth), 3) temperature, 4) nozzles used, 5) spray height, and 6) 16384 other factors.

Helps?

Ralph
Freshly mowed would have a lower chance of burn right?

·
Hay Master
1,065 Posts
I'm curious as to why you want to spray the 28% N-UAN on your grass? Normally, the spray method is used when someone wants to add an herbicide to the liquid fertilizer for controlling weeds and fertilizing at the same time. And you haven't mentioned what kind of grass you will be spraying N onto. My experience with applying 32% N-UAN on Coastal bermudagrass showed no yield difference between spraying vs dribble banding using oriface plates in the nozzles spaced 20" apart, and there was a lot less burn when the UAN was dribble-banded onto the grass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to try it to see how much more yield we get on our second cut. We have fescue, orchard grass, some Timothy, and red clover. I’m gonna either use teejet sj3 or sj7 nozzles. And I am in Ohio so weather is pretty decent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts