Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
It sucks, years ago had a derecho come thru that wasn't very wide at all and where it went there wasn't any rows to pick, just watched the edge of the head like mowing hay. Snapped off like 8-10 telephone poles even along US31

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
We got the remnants of hurricane Katrina back in I think 2005. Wide spread damage across southern Indiana with a lot of down corn. I had a 25 acre field that took 6 days to shell with a six row combine. Bought a corn reel as did everyone else. Shelled corn going one way, going crossways and even some with small grain head. Put a lot of dirt and mud in the grain bins. Some take away notes, combine the corn as soon as the grain is dry enough to shell (~30%), keep plenty of alcohol on hand for stress and be safe with plugged corn heads. At the end of the year, I swore I wouldn't wish down corn on my worst enemy.

·
4,349 Posts
7 years ago storms like that storms went threw south of here guys had flat corn and had it appraised for a total loss by crop insurance . Turned around and chopped it for silage and got every stalk . and sold it for more than they would have got thru combine.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
7 years ago storms like that storms went threw south of here guys had flat corn and had it appraised for a total loss by crop insurance . Turned around and chopped it for silage and got every stalk . and sold it for more than they would have got thru combine.
A lot of this corn is snapped off and is not mature and is now turning brown.That corn will be chaff not much feed value in that.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
A lot of this corn is snapped off and is not mature and is now turning brown.That corn will be chaff not much feed value in that.
Yep, when Katrina hit us I think it was just after Labor Day and most corn was black layered so it made grain. My flattest field was taller after we ran the combine thru it and still averaged 200 bpa and we left a lot in the field.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.