Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some input on an issue I've been having with the digital dash on my JD 7200. The problem started late last fall as we were finishing up hay and planting cover crops. Was baling one day and the entire dash just went dead. All other functions worked fine - hydraulics, transmission, PTO, lights, etc. it was just the dash that was dead. I cut the tractor off and started it again and the dash started working again, for a while before going out again. Ever since that day sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will be completely dead when you start the tractor and stay that way, sometimes it will flicker in and out at startup then work for a while just fine before quitting. Other times (shorter periods I've used the tractor) it may work just fine. The whole thing is hit or miss to say the least. I've probably put 15-20 hours on the tractor hauling manure and planting cover crops since it all started.

I have checked and cleaned up all the grounds that I know to check and looked for loose wires. This hasn't helped. I have not taken the console completely apart and taken the monitor out yet to see if a wire could be loose or something up in there.

A new monitor is obviously pricey, I'd like to check all the simple things first. Anyone have any ideas of what else to check or run into this before? I have a feeling a dealer is just going to want to slap a new monitor in it right from the start.

One thing I thought of but am guessing is not the case, the tractor has really old batteries. So old I'm embarrassed to admit how old they are. The tractor cranks great, have noticed no other issues from running the older batteries, but wondered if that might be part of the problem here? I'm betting that has nothing to do with it though...

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Our semi tractor does the same thing except it was just the tach and speedo, i called a few dash repair places and they said it's a bad ground on the board and the rest will quit eventually a well. I agree with it being in the board as the cruise control still works with the tach and speedo dead. Turns out its pretty common for that year and model truck. For now I just picked up a GPS speedo meter.

If you can't find anything obvious yourself do a google search and I'd be pretty sure somebody out there can repair, rebuild or replace it for less than JD.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
If it starts well and holds a charge, batteries shouldn't have anything to do with it, besides once its running the alternator should take over anyways.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've done some searches and found new dash a little cheaper than what Deere sells it for. Some posts and such on other forums asking about repairing these exact same monitors basically is met with a "not really possible" or "just as cheap to buy a new one" or "look for one in a junkyard". But I'm still researching though. And on one hand it isn't a huge deal, since everything else works and usually you can get pretty close on RPMs based on sound/feel for running PTO equipment, so I may just keep running it until it absolutely quits working. But I don't like not having any warning gauges working and for some things I really like and need to know my speed and exact RPMs...like spreading litter and lime.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Can you remove this digital dash and get a good look (maybe even with a magnifying glass) at the board? Looking for a small hair line crack, is my SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) today.

Larry

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm hadn't thought about it being in the switch. Might need to check that too, especially since this tractor every once in a while will be dead at the switch on the first turn. Try again and it will crank right over no issues. It does this rarely. Maybe once or twice in a hundred startups. Not enough to look into and I hadn't even thought about it til you mentioned it being possibly related to this issue.

·
10,011 Posts
I'll be taking my 7200 dash apart in a few weeks and I'll let you know what I find.....mines the same way, except when it does work, you can barely see it.....I'm guessing cold solder connections at the board but idk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes please report back. Very interested to know. Mine still works well enough that unless I can diagnose the exact issue I'm not spending big bucks on it yet. I can get by with it as is for a long time yet.

Definitely sounds like I'm not the only one with the issue. Sure do like this tractor overall. Perfect size hay tractor for me. Had it for a little over 5 years/1200 hours now and other than normal maintenance and wear and tear items it has been great. This has been its first aggravating little issue.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still have not taken the time to do anymore digging into this, but sure would like for it to be a loose connection somewhere. Which distribution box are you talking about? Something on the left hand side beneath where the fuses are or something under the dash or on the right hand side where the computer is (assuming its the same on cab or open station)?

·
Super Moderator
15,814 Posts
I had a issue one time with a main connector mounted on the external firewall under the hood on a JD cab tractor. The tractor would operate just as you described in the OP. My neighbor helped me run it down....I used electrical contact spray cleaner on it and worked the connector off and on and made good contact again. We found it by just wiggling wires and connectors on our initial search.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I am not good with electronics, but I have a friend who is a JD mechanic who is going to help me look it over whenever we get around to it. Hopefully it takes more time to remove all the panels and shields to get to all the wiring and connections that it does to figure out where the issue is...

·
Hay Master
958 Posts
I was doing more thinking about it, and the open station and cab are different, but the same thing could be the issue. I was wrong, it was in the fuse box, but in was in another section, might have been where relays or diode were at. I remember it looked nearly impossible to take it apart and fix it right...... my fix was a tapered block of wood, made just long enough to keep pressure on whichever one was 'loose'.

Rodney

1 - 20 of 26 Posts