Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a semi load of round bales lined up at a real fair price. But the seller had to bale straw before he could ship to me. Would't you know it the day the straw is done it rains. Heavy mist for 6 hours and some small showers, cool and damp for a day. It got the bales wet a little in the field and now they are loaded on a trailer. Now my seller is wanting to ship them to me. I am feeding horses and it's my winters worth of hay. I told him I wanted to see if they dry before I buy them of it stays too cool and they mold. I figure if it gets hot out right away they will be fine. But now they are on a trailer so they won't get air flow either.

I only have money for one shot at getting good hay for winter.

So I am asking the people of this forum for advice.

·
Hay Master
1,484 Posts
I'm confused are they straw or grass. And will you be storing them in a barn or outside? Yes they should have waited to load them dry. The longer they stay stacked the worse for moisture retention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused are they straw or grass. And will you be storing them in a barn or outside? Yes they should have waited to load them dry. The longer they stay stacked the worse for moisture retention.
Bailing straw in another field delayed grass hay transaction. These guys run near 24 hours a day from now till november and nobody quiet understands how the boss runs the show. So things get out of step sometimes, especially when they try to outguess the boss.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Was the hay baled dry then got some rain?
I think if my reading comprehension is correct hay was baled dry then got .6'' of rain on the bales.If I'm correct I think hay should be fine. I won't store hay outside with any round part of rd bale touching because this touching creates a funnel to catch rain water.

·
235 Posts
Depends on where your at ? Here in ky you'd leave them out in the sun or if the weather isnt' favorable inside your barn , not stacked , till they dry . then do what you want . If you had a probe to check temp or moisture would be even better .

·
5,732 Posts
I've had good luck with even heavily rained on round bales left out for a few dry days to dry before stacking inside.

·
3,916 Posts
I've had good luck with even heavily rained on round bales left out for a few dry days to dry before stacking inside.
Same here.

I have almost 300 rolls on various fence lines waiting to be hauled here and put under a roof. If it is rolled tight there will be almost no loss or concern.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
IMO, where ever he's at if the RH is high and it's hot, it's a crapshoot, especially if on the trailer stacked and damp.

Horses and dusty hay don't get along too well.

·
Hay Master
968 Posts
In the upper Midwest most people leave their round bales outside year around. 40" of precipitation per year is not uncommon. Some bales are left outside for over a year. You will be just fine with that hay unless it was wet when it was baled.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Me,too. I usually leave my RB's sitting outside for about two weeks to go through their sweat before I stack them.

Ralph
I'm just the opposite from you. I bale them, load them on the gooseneck, truck 'em home and in the truss arch they go, eye to the sky. Never had issue one.

I never leave rounds outside, never, but then I have the room too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts