Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 477 haybine (w stub guards) I always cut at the highest setting on first cut.
Does anyone drop down for second cut? Seems like with the stub guards it does not cut
the leafy crops as clean.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,950 Posts
time for a krone discbine :giggle: , second cuts clean as a whistle at 5 in stubble height

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time for a krone discbine :giggle: , second cuts clean as a whistle at 5 in stubble height
I forgot to add disclaimer about no discbine recommendations! Only cutting 7 acres lol.
My main concern is stand health.

·
Hay Something
1,481 Posts
That's impressive. I tried high skid shoes on my NH 1411 last year and the cut was not what I could call clean.

Sorry Leeroy, I have no haybine knowledge to impart to you.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,950 Posts
That's impressive. I tried high skid shoes on my NH 1411 last year and the cut was not what I could call clean.

Sorry Leeroy, I have no haybine knowledge to impart to you.
It is probably due to rolls vs flails. I didn’t get clean cuts on second cutting with my 1409 either. It wasn’t that bad just not as clean as flails

·
Hay Master
4,982 Posts
With the 477 haybine (w stub guards) I always cut at the highest setting on first cut.
Does anyone drop down for second cut? Seems like with the stub guards it does not cut
the leafy crops as clean.
I cut with NH 7230 moco. Usually cut OG of highest setting with stubble shoes. But, as I said "usually", yesterday I cut on middle setting to cut any emergin foxtail short.

OG keeps its regrowth sugars in the crown above ground. Cutting too short can prevent regrowth.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What kind of knife are you running? You may want to switch out your knife for an underserrated bar for leafy cuts and use and overserrated bar for first cuts. The underserrated supposedly cut leafier grass better.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Drop to the second setting on our 7230 discbine for second cutting mixed grass highest setting for alfalfa lower setting increases yield on the grass and we rarely have enough time for a third cutting on the grass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts