Hay & Forage Forum banner

Considering purchase of Damaged h7230

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  slowzuki 
#1 ·
Hay y’all, i’m considering making an offer on a late model H 7230.
the Discbine has damage to sheet metal on top from a significant impact.
when manually turning the cutter bar from the left, the first three modules turn
and the remaining five do not. And turning from the right the first five turn in the remaining three dont.
i’m wondering what the probable cause of this is and also what other damage could be expected assuming I bought it and tore into it.
tia, Mac

#2 ·
Probably sheared the drive shaft between the third and fourth modules. The only damage other than that would be sheared, shear hubs which protect the modules. Could also have bent a disc. If after assembly, if the knives rub the top of the cutter bar, the disc will need to be replaced. Depending on where the hit was taken, there could be multiple sheared hubs. Turn the discs and see if the discs are still 90 degrees to each other. The hubs are meant to shear if an object is hit. I have never seen any module damage after a shear hub sheared from contact with a foreign object. It is rare but I have seen a connecting drive shaft broken even with the shear hubs shearing. On that machine I think it took five shear hubs.

If it was a machine I was working on, I would take all the discs off, except the first since the first disc does not use a shear hub, and then remove the center hub bolt to remove the hubs. There are I think five splines in the hubs, check to see if the splines are sheared off. If so, be sure to remove the sheared splines from the module shaft.

By removing all the hubs the timing of the cutter bar will be easier after you split the bar. With the hubs removed you do not have to time anything when sliding the two sections of cutter bar together. To time start at the second disc and work your way down the bar. USE NEW BOLTS IN THE CENTER OF THE HUBS and torque to 135 ftlbs, no impacts.

If you go to my pinned thread at the top of the machinery forum, go to the first page and scroll down the list until you get to the discbine section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.