Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
5,734 Posts
I'm fighting with our insurance company right now about that, they want commercial insurance policy and another coverage for personal use of a commercial vehicle. 700$ per truck up to 2200$ per truck and lose coverage of trailers hitched to the truck. They have to be insured separate.

And thats also throws us into commercial insurance

·
5,734 Posts
Talked to several insurers now, and the insurance watch dog, the insurer only has to underwrite what he wants to, a client has no way to force them into offering a non-commercial policy. As soon as I said delivery of hay to folks that was it. Once the broker asked the underwriter the question they flagged my account and said I'll never be able to avoid commercial from them in the future.

Next place I called I didn't give my name but got the same answer. Found one last place that has a farm policy for limited radius of operation but they want my personal vehicles, farm liability and house policy too. Not too sure about that.

Slowzuki. Once u hit commercial plates and cross state lines ur stuck to commercial ins. Thats part of the boc 3 sorta stupid for all of us but seems like no way out. If someone knows how im all ears

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,300 Posts
Talked to several insurers now, and the insurance watch dog, the insurer only has to underwrite what he wants to, a client has no way to force them into offering a non-commercial policy. As soon as I said delivery of hay to folks that was it. Once the broker asked the underwriter the question they flagged my account and said I'll never be able to avoid commercial from them in the future.

Next place I called I didn't give my name but got the same answer. Found one last place that has a farm policy for limited radius of operation but they want my personal vehicles, farm liability and house policy too. Not too sure about that.
Thats what I have (Nationwide Agribusiness). I shopped it around. Couldn't find much better/cheaper, but I'd like to.

·
10,300 Posts
Insurance is a legalized moffia. We tried nationwide agri buss and that was a joke. But id say it comes down to each opperation and each aggent. But i feel all your pain. Just makes me move a few more bales. Sad part is u are pentilized for moving ur own product. But having to rely on other shipere gets to be a pain.
If my insurance is a joke (and everyone else with them), can you tell me who you have so I can get on board with your insurance?

·
Registered
460 Posts
By no means is mine any better. Like i said above it comes down to each opperation and each agent. Nationwide was one of the highest for me. Around here i can name a few people who had it never filed clains and then filed one claim and then was droped. Mines a independent broker and they use grange and ohio mutial. Now with that said we are shopping right now for the trucks to find something cheaper. One problem we have is we are to deversified and no insurance co likes to insure all of the peices.

·
10,300 Posts
I tried Goodville Mutual Insurance and they were more expensive. I talked to fellow farmers in the area (they will still talk to me even though I refer to cows as cattle ;) ) and they all use Nationwide. I'm pretty much on my own, so thats all the information I had. Also, I own a barn/garage building business too, so they were pretty reasonable on that cost.
Shopping insurance isnt an easy process. I think they know that and make the paperwork discourage switching.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was originally with State Farm. House, vehicles, and a 10' Bush Hog (because I financed it). All other farm equipment I had was paid for and didn't feel I needed insurance. I needed a round baler insured, found out State Farm didn't insure Ag equipment anymore. I asked why was my Rotary Mower insured, their response,"Oh, we insured that as personal use." I told them to insure it as personal use and they said they couldn't do that. Well I told them we can't do business anymore.

Went to Farm Bureau and took everything to them, on top added extra policies and the cost was still less. Not entirely sure if it is better coverage but the guy made it sound that way. Guess what? State Farm said they will do anything to gain my business back, even make an exception. See, they can change what they want, they just need someone to push.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.