Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
If ur using the truck all the time i dont see how gas is cheaper. We have one gas truck and as soon as we can it wont be here. Fuel savings it is not. But every operation is different. I know for us the up charge for the deisel is paid for in about a uear and a piece just in fuel savings.

·
Registered
468 Posts
One big issue for us is the putting around pulling wagons etc. you'll burn 20/25 gallons of gas in a day pulling wagons where you can burn less than 10 running a diesel not to mention the fuel savings on the highway pulling all the time with the diesel it comes down to if you're not running the miles and or hours it would be a lot harder to justify at least for us spark plugs are out

·
Registered
468 Posts
Def by far makes things better. Tier 3 emisons trucks suck on mpg hands down. The def made tier 4 trucks basicaly back to the same mpg as tier 2 trucks. Def is also dirt cheap. Or you can delete it if u want. With these new diesels there is no advantage to gas in the winter. Mine will start at -20 all day long with out being pluged in. We have a gas truck inour fleet and the only advantage it has is stoping at the gas station more each day (the guys like that). The air coming out of tier 4 trucks is cleaner than the air u breath in new york city. Also on gelling, if u buy good fuel to start with you dont have that problem. No walmart/kroger fuel. I pay an extra 9k giver take and dont think twice for my duramaxes. I can recoupe that in just about a yrs time. Expecaly when the gas and deisel were in the 4$ range. Little longer at the 2$ range but still its a no brainer if u are going to truly use ur truck. If ur getting groceries the gas might be a better bet if thats what u want.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wish I had the money so I didn't have to finance my trucks make life a nicer. It is all going to come down to how much you use your truck I have a 6.0 gas or that will pull just as good as the 6.6 Duramax but it takes a lot longer the squirrels are wound tight and at the end of the day it drinks a lot more fuel. On average there is 5mpg difference between gas and diesel on our trucks loaded or empty across the board. On 50000 miles a yr thats at least 3-4k difference in fuel cost a yr just in milage not including idle time. So at the end of the day saving the 8k buying gas truck on 5 yrs loan will actually cost u 7k more just in fuel cost at the end of 5 yrs at what our prices are here for fuel.

Now if ur only running 10000 miles or some other figure that might be a different story. But for our operation buying cheaper gas trucks cost me more money at the end of the day.

You figure minus the motors and torque converters in the autos if ur buying 1 tons or bigger all the other drive train components are the same with in each manufacturer. Your gas motors are a few hundred pounds lighter, will pull just as much, and run just as well. It comes down to how fast u want to do it and how much u truly use ur truck for pulling.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but ive tried to pencil it many ways. I used to run gas trucks and once i swallowed the jump and the price tag my bottom line increased a couple pennies at the end of the day.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Farms spread out is one killer (35 miles from one end to other), but we deliver all of our product and then more on top of that. All of our hay is kept at two places so we haul from field to barn more than most. We haul all of our own supplies, gravel, cattle, ect. Before we did hay we was still running around 30,000 miles. Were not as bad as out west but nothing close it seems like and getting ground right next door is impossible.

U can use farm tags to deliver out of state with, us dot numer, ifta tags, and urc. Seems to be that way with most states but trying to find someone who knows anything about farm tags and going out of state is a nightmare.

·
Registered
468 Posts
By no means is mine any better. Like i said above it comes down to each opperation and each agent. Nationwide was one of the highest for me. Around here i can name a few people who had it never filed clains and then filed one claim and then was droped. Mines a independent broker and they use grange and ohio mutial. Now with that said we are shopping right now for the trucks to find something cheaper. One problem we have is we are to deversified and no insurance co likes to insure all of the peices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.