Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,886 Posts
We have a gas and diesel one ton at the moment - an old 5.4 gas and a newish deleted tuned 6.7 diesel. The power difference is amazing but the cost difference would buy another truck. I don't think there any savings to be had with normal farm mileage. The fancy water separators and expensive oil changes and higher price of diesel all negate the increased mileage.

·
5,886 Posts
Helps indirectly as you don't need "super" egr cooling the peak temps/pressures. NOx is formed by the exact same high temp that a diesel needs for efficiency. DEF after treat lets you make the NOx then treat it.

The DEF doesn't help with mileage but the newer generation engines are the ones that use DEF and they are much more fuel efficient......the 6.4 was a guzzler compared to the 6.7. Of course one (6.4) is made by International and the 6.7 made by FoMoCo. All of the newer engines are getting better mileage, but it comes at a price in both longevity and price......

·
5,886 Posts
Of course we are not true haulers, if I was I'd be trucking instead!

Not mentioned are a few other benefits of gas:

Gas truck starts easily all winter, no wait to start, no wait to shut down. No gelling, no overloading of the front axle by putting a plow on.

Don't feel bad starting and stopping engine while fencing, feeding, using truck as scafolding, etc.

Don't instantly fill shop with fumes when you back in to load stuff on the back. This is another mainly winter issue when you're trying to keep the heat inside and don't want to leave the doors open.

Less ruts in the fields due to the almost 1000 lbs less on the front axle.

some are not true haulers.

·
5,886 Posts
Take for example a 2004 f350 - 4400 lb front axle rating on most 4x4 models. Maxed out model was 5200 lb. the diesel model had little reserve capacity.

The 2010s had a range from 4200 to 6000 lb but most seem to come 5200 lb. I think you needed the super 60 tow boss or something package to get the higher rating and it's pretty rare.

·
5,886 Posts
I'm fighting with our insurance company right now about that, they want commercial insurance policy and another coverage for personal use of a commercial vehicle. 700$ per truck up to 2200$ per truck and lose coverage of trailers hitched to the truck. They have to be insured separate.

And thats also throws us into commercial insurance

·
5,886 Posts
Talked to several insurers now, and the insurance watch dog, the insurer only has to underwrite what he wants to, a client has no way to force them into offering a non-commercial policy. As soon as I said delivery of hay to folks that was it. Once the broker asked the underwriter the question they flagged my account and said I'll never be able to avoid commercial from them in the future.

Next place I called I didn't give my name but got the same answer. Found one last place that has a farm policy for limited radius of operation but they want my personal vehicles, farm liability and house policy too. Not too sure about that.

Slowzuki. Once u hit commercial plates and cross state lines ur stuck to commercial ins. Thats part of the boc 3 sorta stupid for all of us but seems like no way out. If someone knows how im all ears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.