Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking at buying a used baler they are both new holland 417 or 575 , the 417 is at dealer looks clean he tells me its 2007 but looks older from photos i have

The 575 is 2008 and the more mordern shape, my questions are is there much difference between balers and the bales they make .... only doing alfalfa and the 417 is 8k cheaper

side question how do the JD small square balers go on alf I see they use different feed system

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not 100% on all that you ask but I think the 575 should have more capacity. ... That would likely be the biggest difference from what I know. My cousin ran a John deere square baler for many years on his dairy and worked well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply , just got offered a Nh 570 2011 couple more grand than the 575 (25 k )but 3 years younger and less worked but still 10 k more than the Nh 417
Is there really much difference between balers I'm doing 40 acres every 30 days 10 months a year of alfalfa and stepping up to 80 acres so still only 2500 bales a month so volume isn't a biggy is it ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would doubt it. We have a 575 with a thrower and it's around 100 strokes/min which is unnecessary for us, but it makes nice tight bales if you drive slow. It can handle allot of material but the bales seem to lose bale shape in straw especially which is a problem with a thrower. If it was me, I would look into one of the case IH/Hesston Inline small square balers. I've heard good things about them, and I used to own a 3X3 Case baler and I think they are much the same just smaller.

·
298 Posts
unless they are different in australia the 417 is an older series. as for the 575 in my opinion there is no better baler and should do what you want to do for a long time. there are small differences between a 570 and 575 that on paper don't seem to be that much but in the field are night and day. the width of the pick-up being the biggest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes u r right it is older series , I was suprised when dealer said it was 2007 I thought they were a lot older
Thanks for comments ... Now to sort out my rake lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts