Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use Tyrite 9000-170 blue poly, but unfortunately the Amish distributor I used to purchase it from has died and I don't have any place locally to get it. I'm switching to Orangeline 9000-130.

My NH 311 fed the thicker 170-weight twine flawlessly, should I expect to have issues feeding a lighter and thinner twine? I had to run some of it on one side of a bale at the very end of the season last year and didn't have any issues, but I'll be running 3-4k bales through it this year. My bales are 40-45 lb which is why I can get by with the lighter weight (but it's also cheaper too and twine is pretty crazy this year).

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,885 Posts
May need to fiddle with the twin holder tension? Thinner twine would pull out of the holders more easily I would think.

A digression on knotters and twine weight. We used to use 350 twine in our (small) big square baler. It worked fine. Due to availability, a couple years ago we switched to 440. No problems. Comparing notes with a another D1000 user and he had constant problems when he tried 440. Went back to 350 and the problems went away. His is an earlier serial number baler that has twine discs of all the same thickness; the later SN machines had two thinner and one much thicker disc, and I am guessing that change makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Can't say about your baler but our green ones didn't notice the difference when we switched from sisal to poly. Have used other poly brands as whatever is available but the Orangeline 9000-130 is what we've used most often.

Shelia

·
5,826 Posts
We have always had good luck with 130 and 170 poly, and sisal. They all seem to have tied fine in JD 336, 348 and MF 1840. My memory fails me for what we ran in the NH but I suspect both as well. Same for the old MF224 and 228.

Our neighbours IH 440? didn't like poly twine at all.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My baler loves poly much better than sisal. It will only miss a bale if I did a bad job tying twine balls together, but it’s gone nearly 7k bales without a miss on poly. I am just always nervous the first time it gets fired up and going through the field, especially with a different twine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Will be interesting to see if my NH273 will knot the poly since the parts manual shows two different knife sets, one for sisal, one for plastic. RIght now it has Sisal in the box, but that stuffs expensive now!

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,885 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts