Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law has had a NH275 for many years and has worked without issue until this week. The chain that goes between the sprocket on the plunger slip clutch and the sprocket for the pickup broke. We replaced it with a new chain and after 15 bales it broke also. After a repair to the chain and raising the pickup, it broke a third time. (at that point we gave up with only a few bales left)

My brother-in-law that is doing the baling says there was no sound or anything to indicate when the chain breaks other than the pickup stops working. The pickup rakes move freely when moved by hand and do not bind up.

Has anybody had experience with this happening on a baler? or any suggestion of where to look?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I believe there was a slip clutch on my neighbor's NH 275, (if there is a slip clutch on your model) is that working, our JD had a shear pin sit-up. If you are not there when it breaks you can't tell if you are over feeding or landscaping with the pick up, in either case a shear pin or clutch should fail / sllip before breaking a new chain IMHO. Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a slip clutch, but I'll admit that I'm not sure how to make it is working. After breaking the second time, we thought there should be a shear bolt; but then that is what the slip clutch should be doing I guess.

Is it possible that the chain was too tight? He had the tension pulley pretty tight onto the chain.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Check and make sure nothing is wore out, sounds like something is getting in a bind when running at speed and jamming it, I've never had a chain break on our NH276 or the ones before that, they've fallen apart from old age but never broke.

·
2,826 Posts
Take off a couple of the bands between the pickup teeth on the right side and take a look at the cam track and at the bearings which run in the track. Especially look at the back lower corner area. Slip clutch should slip before chain breaks. Might be time to remove the bolts and springs and clean the clutch up. The clutch is right there on the outside so it is easy to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all of your responses; they have been very helpful in figuring what to look for. we'll be taking apart the slip clutch and looking inside the pickup.

Mike10, clarification on the back lower corner. I'm assuming the corner toward the outside wheel and not the corner by the plunger/bale chamber?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.