Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a used baler. It is basically a New Holland 634 vintage, I was told. It's just a basic 4x4 baler with twine tie. I usually run it at 400 pto rpm to make and tie the bale and slow down to about 200 to eject the bale. Seems to work ok. Slower rpm or faster and the door bangs open fast, but slightly and gets "stuck" for a bit then opens up. Anyone have a baler similar to this? If so, how do you run it? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
what is the tractor you are using?
I have a 648 baler on a tm135 new holland
tractor has small knobs by the hydraulic remotes to control the speed of the flow
otherwise I would say you are running it right

is your last name Brooks? I am Joe Brooks

welcome to the haytalk

i

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the tractor you are using?
I have a 648 baler on a tm135 new holland
tractor has small knobs by the hydraulic remotes to control the speed of the flow
otherwise I would say you are running it right

is your last name Brooks? I am Joe Brooks

welcome to the haytalk

i
Thanks for the reply. I am using a Kubota M8540. I was wondering if my PTO speed was too fast or slow when ejecting or I thought maybe my hydraulics were too slow. My name is Ken Brooks. I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. There's not too many brooks' here. Are there many where you are?

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,044 Posts
This should have been moved to the machinery forum right away, sorry about that. :(

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello all, I have a used baler. It is basically a New Holland 634 vintage, I was told. It's just a basic 4x4 baler with twine tie. I usually run it at 400 pto rpm to make and tie the bale and slow down to about 200 to eject the bale. Seems to work ok. Slower rpm or faster and the door bangs open fast, but slightly and gets "stuck" for a bit then opens up. Anyone have a baler similar to this? If so, how do you run it? Thanks
Are you saying you are baling (picking up windrows) at 400 rpms on the tachometer? That sound incredibly slow.
How do other implements with hydraulics act when attached to the Kubota? This is the "poor man's" pressure test for the tractor's hydraulic system. You can also make up a set of gauges with a remote connector and test the tractor hydraulic pressure. If all is good here, then I would focus my troubleshooting on the baler
I have a M9000, and I believe they are the same as far as not having flow control adjustments. Do your remote valves look like this: Kubota M8540DT (Dual Traction 4wd / Rops) Parts ?
My experience with older balers makes me wonder about the condition of the gate lift cylinders, especially based on you saying "they stick". Test them to see if they are internally bypassing. You may also need to simply add inline flow controls on the baler side.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
IMHO 400 pto rpms is too low for operating a rd baler. 400 rpm's is 75% of the SAE rated 540 rpm's. The lowest rpm's that I operate my rd baler is 480 pto rpm's in drier grasses to help lessen hay buildup between belts. If I was concerned about baler tailgate banging I'd install hyd restrictor or restrictors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts