Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now this year I've had to give up on the last 500' of a roll of silage wrap because holes keep popping open in it as it comes off the roll. Eventually it tears, then I have to jump down and tie the wrap back on, only for it to tear again after 3-4 times around the bale.

I put a fresh roll on and it works just fine.

The wrapper is an old FarmLUND 3pt hitch model, from before they changed the company name to FarmLand.

Both rolls that did this were Sunfilm. Maybe that's the problem? Overall, I'm not impressed with the Sunfilm.

·
186 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Ag Wrap 3PH wrapper a couple of years ago. (Very similar to your FarmLand wrapper in that the plastic roll orbits the bale while the arms rotate the bale.)

Turns out the bolts holding the wrapper arm to the top frame had come loose and when the wrapper arm got going, it would swing out enough to the vertical front frame, putting a hole in the plastic roll.

I did two things. First, I tightened the bolts and the issue went away.

Second, I unrolled the damaged rolls until the 'hole' went away. Because the roll holder is black, I could tell the hole didn't go all the way through the roll. Granted, I pulled off a lot of plastic, but I saved a lot of plastic too because they were fairly fresh rolls when they got damaged. So if you can't see the black pipe at the bottom of the hole, you can pull off plastic until the hole is gone.

And check the bolts holding the wrapper arm to the top frame again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is tight.

When this happens there are NO holes in the wrap on the roll that I can see. I can peel it off by hand and the wrap is perfect.

A new roll doesn't have this problem, at least not until it's down to the last 500' or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using whatever Sunfilm they sell at Runnings, which is a regional "farm fleet" style store. Plain white box with the "SUNFILM" logo on a couple of sides.

I had a few rolls of another brand and all of them came off the roll clean As I recall. I made about 100 wrapped bales this year, used about 6 rolls of wrap.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used to use Sunfilm. It was doing the same thing. Breaking for no reason. Absolutely infuriating dealing with it. I’ve sworn the junk off. Never again.

I switched to Pritchett. Been through a pallets worth. No problems. Same hay crops. Same wrapper. Sunfilm is junk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts