Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go take a look at Pottinger. No lack of dealers in Ontario. Cheaper then both Krone and Claas last time i priced them. Nicer rake then the Krone, and just as heavy. Never seen the larger claas rakes in person so can't compare to that one. I personally think that when it comes to rakes Pottinger is the one to beat at the moment. Tedder wise i would probably go Krone right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go take a look at Pottinger. No lack of dealers in Ontario. Cheaper then both Krone and Claas last time i priced them. Nicer rake then the Krone, and just as heavy. Never seen the larger claas rakes in person so can't compare to that one. I personally think that when it comes to rakes Pottinger is the one to beat at the moment. Tedder wise i would probably go Krone right now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
To the question above I’ve never really timed it close but estimate probably average 5 acres per hour in most fields. Which is why we typically will max out at 20-30 acres per day depending on drying conditions, and how early you can start, how late you can run etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
regarding new vs used, your point on break in is a valid one, but I suspect more relevant to mowers, and balers with more adjustments involved. You’re going to keep this rake forever and if you have the cash flow to buy it new, you always know everything that’s happened to it and how it was maintained.
Update: I went back to the dealership to give the used unit a 2nd look over. It's a nice looking unit, but the PTO had a bit of an issue when turning, the rake itself will spin well. Anyway I had a service guy come out and take a look and they are going to to take a look at it. I also gleaned that the used unit was loaned out at some point this summer. It does bring back the feeling of wanting to know where the unit is from.

I am now seeing a little more of your wisdom around having something 100% new if it's in the budget. I'm leaning towards the new unit. 3-4 years of use and the question marks around that isn't worth the saving $3,500CAD to me. Plus you get a warranty with the new unit which I didn't really consider. Right now unless they drop the price of the used unit I am favouring the new one. I rarely get to buy a new piece of farm machinery, and likely my mower and baler down the road won't be new so I am feeling the appeal of having this rake new.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Update: I went back to the dealership to give the used unit a 2nd look over. It's a nice looking unit, but the PTO had a bit of an issue when turning, the rake itself will spin well. Anyway I had a service guy come out and take a look and they are going to to take a look at it. I also gleaned that the used unit was loaned out at some point this summer. It does bring back the feeling of wanting to know where the unit is from.

I am now seeing a little more of your wisdom around having something 100% new if it's in the budget. I'm leaning towards the new unit. 3-4 years of use and the question marks around that isn't worth the saving $3,500CAD to me. Plus you get a warranty with the new unit which I didn't really consider. Right now unless they drop the price of the used unit I am favouring the new one. I rarely get to buy a new piece of farm machinery, and likely my mower and baler down the road won't be new so I am feeling the appeal of having this rake new.
Warranty is great and if you have a good dealer that will stand behind you it can be even better(if needed). I had 2 new pieces, one started failing in warranty and continued to fail outside of warranty, the other failed outside warranty. I was well taken care of considering the circumstances. 2 different dealers and brands. Both still in use 7 years later.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts