Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,517 Posts
Ok, I'll bite since nobody else has, and maybe this will get things started. If you only want something to store hay and not equipment, you wouldn't need something very large just for storing 20-30 round bales. If you don't want to overbuild and know that's the only capacity you'll need, I'd suggest considering an all steel carport structure.

I built a 22x26 with 10’ sidewalls to pull two hay wagons through and get them out of the elements until they were unloaded. At the time it cost around $3k installed and took them 2.5 hr to set up. It has gables and looks like a regular pole barn from the outside except you get more clearance inside since there are no trusses. Later I went and had gable ends installed above the door way instead of a completely open gable. It let in too much wind and rain. .

You could actually fit that number of 4x5 rounds in this stacked on end, but you might want to go a little longer. Mine is drive thru but you would want three sided.
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Tree

· Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,080 Posts
What size bales and what kind of bale handling equipment do you have? I have stored round bales in a building and I very much prefer to stack them on end and 2 high. Single high is inefficient use of floor space, 3 high requires a lot more building and equipment dollars. Make the building tall enough that there is a foot or two of clearance above the bales so the bales aren’t hitting the building during handling. Make the building approximately half a bale diameter wider than what is needed to fit a row of bales in its width. Then it is possible to “nest” progressive rows of bales.

· Registered
72 Posts
Not much help on size ,but suggestions
I don’t know if what your rain fall (snowfall) is ,I recommend your have the barn up at at least a foot from surrounding grade . Two would better , water is a big problem
Seen some barns built on surface flood and doors freeze shut , can’t get into feed livestock or
wet hay .

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to make pole barn for my ranch i hold around 20 to 30 round bales of hay a year. I'm looking for size considerations. any idea would be amazing so I don't over build over spend.
I just read this and it brought to mind the youtube video I saw yesterday:
. This guy makes some valid points about why you should not store hay inside. I"ve stored my round bales outside next to my pasture where the horses are. I don't feed cattle. Hopefully this may help save you some money. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts