Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,826 Posts
Your tedder is a Kuhn and is also the same as an early model NH 163 manual fold.

There are no shortcuts to it, the whole think has got to come apart. The worst part is going to be timing the rotors. I have never had to replace that shaft, but the way it looks, I would install the shaft into the gearbox and slide the right rotor support along with the right center rotor gearbox into place and bolt to the gearbox. At this point the gear #5 can be slid into the gearbox, be sure the key does not fall out. Slide the bearing #2 only partially into the gearbox housing so it can be removed later. Install the coupler to drive the wing but do not pin it, use a bolt to hold it in position for now. Install the right wing and fold into place and see if the rotors are in time. If not you will need to remove the bearing and slide the gear # 5 back out and turn that rotor until those to rotors are in time. Be sure the key for the gear does not fall out of the slot and into the gerbox.

Once the right side is in time the rest of the timing should go easier. Time the left center rotor to the right center rotor and and install the gear and bearing and drive hub. If you started out correctly the left rotor should be in time with the center rotor.

There may be easier ways but this is the way it appears to me. Trying to keep the gear #2 in the right housing as you remove the old shaft and install the new shaft will not work unless you are exactly lined up with the keyway. The key falls out easily.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your tedder is a Kuhn and is also the same as an early model NH 163 manual fold.

There are no shortcuts to it, the whole think has got to come apart. The worst part is going to be timing the rotors. I have never had to replace that shaft, but the way it looks, I would install the shaft into the gearbox and slide the right rotor support along with the right center rotor gearbox into place and bolt to the gearbox. At this point the gear #5 can be slid into the gearbox, be sure the key does not fall out. Slide the bearing #2 only partially into the gearbox housing so it can be removed later. Install the coupler to drive the wing but do not pin it, use a bolt to hold it in position for now. Install the right wing and fold into place and see if the rotors are in time. If not you will need to remove the bearing and slide the gear # 5 back out and turn that rotor until those to rotors are in time. Be sure the key for the gear does not fall out of the slot and into the gerbox.

Once the right side is in time the rest of the timing should go easier. Time the left center rotor to the right center rotor and and install the gear and bearing and drive hub. If you started out correctly the left rotor should be in time with the center rotor.

There may be easier ways but this is the way it appears to me. Trying to keep the gear #2 in the right housing as you remove the old shaft and install the new shaft will not work unless you are exactly lined up with the keyway. The key falls out easily.
and that's why I would like a tech manual. Three rotor offset works pretty good. :D :rolleyes:

·
176 Posts
Good luck if you need to take the wings off. On my NH 163 I was unable to pound out the trailer-hitch-ball-looking pieces that the wings pivot on - hard to get a good hit to break the taper lock. Finally torched them off, but then had a hard time getting the ball seat out of the casting. Ended up being quite a project.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,198 Posts
I broke the housings (#16) on both sides of my NH163 manual fold that looked identical. Worked wiht the NH tech who had a crane truck- still took a while. The breaks came within 5 acres of each other and were on the inner flange weld. We think it was due to a used dealer picking it up with a forklift on the arms-too much stress. anyway, you're in for an extended repair, then making sure you have it in time.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good luck if you need to take the wings off. On my NH 163 I was unable to pound out the trailer-hitch-ball-looking pieces that the wings pivot on - hard to get a good hit to break the taper lock. Finally torched them off, but then had a hard time getting the ball seat out of the casting. Ended up being quite a project.
I got the left off. On this you have to knock out a roll pin then lift up (pry). This is a little different from yours. I got it figured out. I win the lotto and go get a Krone 6 fold up tedder. I really thought about getting a good used one but they cost more than what I paid for this one.

·
176 Posts
Thinking more about it mine also had the roll pins and I guess they weren't tapered. You are lucky that it came apart so easily. I was going to replace the pivot balls on mine anyway since they were worn but it still would have been easier if I didn't have to torch them off.

If it makes you feel any better, there used to be a Kuhn tedder for sale at my local dealer that had a wing drive coupling broken off and wired to the frame so it wouldn't be lost.

I want a six rotor Krone too, or I'll even take another Kuhn!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking more about it mine also had the roll pins and I guess they weren't tapered. You are lucky that it came apart so easily. I was going to replace the pivot balls on mine anyway since they were worn but it still would have been easier if I didn't have to torch them off.

If it makes you feel any better, there used to be a Kuhn tedder for sale at my local dealer that had a wing drive coupling broken off and wired to the frame so it wouldn't be lost.

I want a six rotor Krone too, or I'll even take another Kuhn!
Can't say it makes me feel any better. I bought it in the crate and it took a whole day to put it together. This should be fun. :lol:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it appears there is not a tech manual on this machine. But, I think I have figured out how to remove the old shaft and replace with the new one. I think it is easier than first expected. Will keep you posted in case this ever happens to anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Neighbor broke his a few years ago, wasn't paying attention and ran the wing right up a guy wire for a telephone pole. Still isn't back together I guess as he texted me once this spring wanting to know if he could borrow my tedder....NOT.

·
5,859 Posts
I have the same tedder in NH colours but cross my fingers no repairs yet. My duetz's had numerous problems and have stripped them a couple of times. Similar design, lots of roll pins but at least most bearing are slip fit, no pressing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Neighbor broke his a few years ago, wasn't paying attention and ran the wing right up a guy wire for a telephone pole. Still isn't back together I guess as he texted me once this spring wanting to know if he could borrow my tedder....NOT.
Ha! maybe be likes an offset three rotor tedder. Funny ... telephone poles are almost non existent ... light/electric poles. I still call them telephone poles ... I'm classified as a senior citizen.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Like I'm gonna buy a tedder after this thread !!!!!!!! :lol:
My repair is a result of a lady hitting mine from behind on the road. The shaft had about 1/2 inch of fresh metal when it broke ... so this was going to happen in a matter of time. This is not a result of field use. Everybody needs a tedder ... mine has more than paid for itself. Top of picture.

Wood Office ruler Ruler Gas Household hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mission complete. Took wing left and right rotors off. Then took other two off with support tube on jack stands. Opened the back of the gear case and removed some grease. Tapped shaft until you could remove key. Slide shaft out. Reverse to put back together. The inner snap ring holding the bearing does not have to come out unless you are removing the bearing. You will also have to remove tine a arm on each rotor. About an 8 hour job with 2. Would be helpful to have a hoist. Don't want to do it again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.