Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
Never seen it but those rollers are subject to a lot of abuse. I’ve seen more than one broken round baler roller.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I knew it was a Deere when I read the title. Happened to my 535 10 years ago or so. Just like you said. Loud noise and find that. I had Deere fix it. Wanna say it was $6-7K back then. I still have the machine. Don’t use it unless needed. I released the pressure off the rolls. If mine broke again today, I’d try to sell it as a parts machine. Wouldn’t fix it. Hate to ask what it would cost today. Best of luck.

·
2,953 Posts
A nick into the metal of a roller can cause the roll to fail like that. Have seen it over the years in other equipment with the most notable and easily identifiable failure of round baler tailgate rolls which were stamped from the factory CANADA. The rolls that failed would fail at the beginning of the C. The stamp was not that deep, but deep enough to set up the failure. In the days of the NH chain balers, a nick in a pipe could lead to the pipe failing. Hard to believe something so small could cause a roll or pipe to fail in a more or less straight line failure.

Look for a dark spot on the side face of the roll for an indication where the failure started.

·
1,346 Posts
I had this happen to a 926 years ago. Sent the good roll and shafts from busted one to B&D rollers. They welded a new center on one and recovered with their pattern. I felt it was an improvement and cost was about the same as one replacement roll from Deere. This was 20 or so years ago so maybe much has changed.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had this happen to a 926 years ago. Sent the good roll and shafts from busted one to B&D rollers. They welded a new center on one and recovered with their pattern. I felt it was an improvement and cost was about the same as one replacement roll from Deere. This was 20 or so years ago so maybe much has changed.
Yep. That’ll work for that one. i called them when mine broke. It wasn’t possible then for a 5XX mower. SOL.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I'm sorry for that. Ever since you started this thread I was thinking ah crap I didn't know that could happen I got to be more careful and check. Then when I was cutting hair yesterday I remembered I have flails... 🙄

·
Registered
279 Posts
That link I posted above, they recover old rollers, so wont be much help since his is broken, but if he can find a used roller, regardless of the rubber condition, and pulls the top one out, he can send the pair to them to be recovered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts