Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first round baler feels nice to have than the little cubes. It’s a NH 640 bought it for $3500 came with the manual and monitor. Not sure what year it is but it makes a 4x5 bale. Are these considered decent machines? What are the biggest problems with them?

Attachments

·
636 Posts
On the safety side of things, going from square to round, always be on the look out for smoke. Buy you a good fire extinguisher and keep it with you while baling. The top roller at the front that drives the belts sees a lot of stress on the bearing on the drive side. I have seen more than one of that series where the bearing got hot.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
A good companion to a fire extinguisher is comprehensive insurance on tractor & rd baler. Rd baler fires are not determined by brand/color. I've seen all brands that have burned. Having experienced a baler that inadvertently turned into a "crispy critter" I can testify balers can burn very quickly. I luckily saved my JD 4255 from burning after my water fire extinguisher was depleted of water.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good companion to a fire extinguisher is comprehensive insurance on tractor & rd baler. Rd baler fires are not determined by brand/color. I've seen all brands that have burned. Having experienced a baler that inadvertently turned into a "crispy critter" I can testify balers can burn very quickly. I luckily saved my JD 4255 from burning after my water fire extinguisher was depleted of water.
Yes insurance is a must. I have insurance through Deere for the tractor I don’t think they’ll insure my rd baler because it’s too old and not worth really anything.

·
5,713 Posts
From being around a 648, check pickup bearings and driveline bearings carefully each season. It’s surprising how long they will stay running reasonably quiet with serious damage. A few hundred in bearings/joints will save a lot of money.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From being around a 648, check pickup bearings and driveline bearings carefully each season. It’s surprising how long they will stay running reasonably quiet with serious damage. A few hundred in bearings/joints will save a lot of money.
The guy I bought it from got it from the NH dealer and they checked everything and replaced everything that needed to be. He never used it after he bought it because his plans changed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 640, it has been a good baler and makes a nice bale. The only real issue that I have had with it was/is the auto tie cycle repeating. I think that I have that fixed, thanks to Mike 10's baler tips, located on this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all I'm a Newbie here, my first round baler is a 605G Vermeer which has been ok but not the greatest. Well this spring I said that's it I'm going to make or break the darn thing, after many phone calls I contacted a man named Ken Dixon a man who had many years repairing the early Vermeer round balers and making them work. My Idea was to replace the belts with a total different size configuration. The machine came with two ten inch belts and six four inch belts. I replaced the belts with an upgrade of five grip both side ten inch belts modified the belt guides to rollers and Girls and Boys now we have a real machine working great on all Hay, Haylage and Silage.

I find that starting out works best by just engaging the PTO VERY SLOWLY to the point that the machine is hardly turning over and just letting the feed have a gentle chance to form the bale core and get started.

Sometimes she does strange things spitting the core out on the wing gate and wrapping up on the flapper roll but just let sit and run and it will clear and once started there she goes and I really mean there she goes!

I live on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada and cut, bale and wrap mostly Canary Reed Grass , some of it is very tall [ 4 to 6 foot average some being much taller ] . I cut with a N.H. 849 Hay bind and a Case / David Brown 1210 open up the deflector on the N.H. 849 and make a windrow about five feet wide, I do no raking, several hours of wilt for hayage and bale. For silage cut bale no wilt than wrap.

I make 5 x 4 bales and some 5 x 5 in hay and only 4 x 5 in haylage silage as my wrapper a 7515 Kerverland has a tough time picking them up[wants to tip over to the right [ OOPs TOO HEAVY ]
Best Regards
Fred Thompson
Theoldbear
Email theoldbear!shaw.ca

Note : In hind sight I think 9 to 9 1/2 inch belts would also work well and give more guide clearance also but for myself the 10 inch belts are working excellent but will keep a close eye on the rollers for wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts