Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It definitely will not be stemmy, That was the yeld of the 1st cut (small bales), just make sure that the seed is properly inoculated, this is very important.
That is a heck of a yield for a single cutting. What did the bales weigh? Just trying to get an idea on the actual tonnage.

Yep I have the inoculant for trefoil. What seeding rate of trefoil to grass do you like to use?

· Registered
1,317 Posts
That is a heck of a yield for a single cutting. What did the bales weigh? Just trying to get an idea on the actual tonnage.

Yep I have the inoculant for trefoil. What seeding rate of trefoil to grass do you like to use?
The bales were between 50 & 60 lbs, I don't remember the seeding rate, but I always go over the recommended number just to be sure to crowd the weeds out as much as possible

· Registered
1,517 Posts
Here I just fall planted some at 5lbs trefoil, 5lbs orchard grass. I could not be happier with yield this second year. Faster drydown than alfalfa, the stems are smaller.

Mike
Now that this thread's about 6 years old, how do you like your experience with trefoil now? I'm considering frost seeding a legume in February.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts