Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone used Big Blue as baleage? Just curious if it would work.
A neighbor has a field of that he had bush hogged every year. I had no idea what it was and had to look it up. Turns out it's native in parts of Maine. Cut it and baled it as dry hay after reading about how it was called ice cream grass because catlle would eat that first in a field. Anyway made about 16 bales, my cattle wouldn't touch it and sold some to other people that had same issue and had to give them their money back. I'd be interested to read how it works for you.

·
Hay Master
5,059 Posts
A neighbor has a field of that he had bush hogged every year. I had no idea what it was and had to look it up. Turns out it's native in parts of Maine. Cut it and baled it as dry hay after reading about how it was called ice cream grass because catlle would eat that first in a field. Anyway made about 16 bales, my cattle wouldn't touch it and sold some to other people that had same issue and had to give them their money back. I'd be interested to read how it works for you.
Some grasses get bitter after they've gone to seed and loose their palatability.

Ralph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts