Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A rotary...... and a cab tractor. Raking stalks is a filthy proposition. Don't ask how I know.

·
Super Moderator
8,695 Posts
You better have really smooth corn ground or else that rotary will get destroyed.
I see one nirghor is using a doble rotary rake this yr I am curious how well it works and holds up.Another is going to demo one,double rotar side delivery and make 1 rd per windrow,I'm thinking he may end up with some huge arsed windrows.

Guys don't like rocks getting into the bales and then run threw bedding shredder and flying at the cattle,hopeing the rotary rake will have less issues with that vs a wheel rake.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,879 Posts
The standard is a rubber tooth Rowse. I have found that except behind chopping corn heads, much of the time I am able to run my wheel rake as crop drive, and thus avoid the dirt and rocks.

Stalks are hard on rakes, period. I don't see how a rotary would last very well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't anymore but I have (in the past) used my rotary for raking corn stalks (as a favor for an associate). I just set the attack angle so the tines were just sweping the stalks and not touching the dirt at all. The stalks because of their physical bulk, sweep up without too much of the dirt coming along, and no rocks.

It';s a filthy job any way you cut it. Nothing about corn excites me except my cornflakes in the morning.

Around here, you never mention that you bailed corn stalks/stover when you trade in a bailer. Just nice hay........lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
For stalks why not shred the stalks with a windrow type stalk shredder? You get more crop that way and you won't destroy a new rake in the process plus you will carry less dirt/rocks over into the windrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't shred stalks with a windrow, because most guys don't want that much off, and I don't like taking that much off. Plus it takes more time with the shredder imo, Rake will take about 40-50% off. I have thought about it some

·
IAhaymakr
380 Posts
I tried rotary rakes in cornstalks, first a kuhn and then a Krone. Both were center delivery. They leave a nice windrow, which will have a lot less dirt than a wheel rake. Maintenance costs were pretty high, but not really any higher than the wheel rakes were. I can't compare to a Rowse however since I have never tried one. We currently use a Vermeer R2800, which seems to cost much less to keep running than the others, and I already need them for hay. I have a hard time buying anything specifically for cornstalks. We shred everything first if a chopping cornhead wasn't used.

·
Hay Master
965 Posts
I've raked a lot of corn stalks with my H&S 14 WHEEL Hi-Cap rake. It stand up to the task.
I did too, (own an H&S 14 wheel hi cap) and it was the one of the worst buys I have ever had and would never consider another one. I am glad it stands up for you, but I had nothing but trouble, and compared to the heavy duty Vermmer , the H&S is made out of beer cans. That being said, I do have an old H&S BF12 standard rake that I really like and pull it with a pickup in small hay fields.

If I were to try a different rake it would be a Rowse with the teeth mounted in rubber, but I am happy right now with the Vermeer.

Went to a Vermeer 1428 and have raked many thousands of acres through standing unshredded stalks and I just this fall replaced the first few teeth. Its a lot cheaper than owning, operating and maintaining a stalk chopper that is good enough and large enough to cover those acres.

The Vermeer

vermrake.jpg

The POS H&S

0512121503.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
For stalks why not shred the stalks with a windrow type stalk shredder? You get more crop that way and you won't destroy a new rake in the process plus you will carry less dirt/rocks over into the windrow.
Then you loose all your cover for starters, also takes a lot of horse to run a big enough shredder to get anything done.

We take the belt of the spreader on the corn combine and just leave it in a row then I follow the combine with the round baler. We try to bale as wet as possible then wrap em. If you shred it first then when wet it doesn't feed into the round baler worth a crap.

·
Super Moderator
15,815 Posts
I have neighbors who think just like you
Now be nice endrow....I really never borrow anything....so that I do not feel compelled to loan. :)

But if someone is in a bind and needs something, I will go do the task for them so as to insure proper usage and to be a good neighbor.

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,879 Posts
The first years that I round baled stalks I relied almost completely on a windrowing stalk chopper. The advent of the chopping cornhead put an end to that. Windrowing shredders work, but have drawbacks like anything. A 15' center delivery doesn't really make a big enough windrow. The 20' center delivery shredders don't have end pull (that I know of) so would be a pain to transport on the road. The side delivery shredders will make a big enough windrow but then there can be problems with moisture in the stalks not escaping from that big heavy windrow. Using a side delivery shredder during a damp fall on wet stalks is a good recipe for hot bales. I personally don't like shredders that have cup knives. They take more power, suck up more dirt and wear out quicker.

Reactions: swmnhay

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
barnrope

My H&S hi-cap rake has been very good. I owned it since '02 and it's raked 1000's upon 1000's of acres and it has 2 short welds where the tubing cracked on one side. Granted I had to replace a frt section of the tongue when.my elderly(75 yrs young) rake tractor driver hung a post bending the tongue into the shape resembling a malaria germ. I'll bet the gopher/ fire ant mound fields my rake has been over is as rough or rougher than what your equipment is submitted to. I owned a Vermeer R23 before the H&S and I sure wouldn't trade back.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.