Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Hayman1
Have you considered swapping your factory fuel filter/base for a different style such as the Roosa-master rectangular type?

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,978 Posts
Hayman1
Have you considered swapping your factory fuel filter/base for a different style such as the Roosa-master rectangular type?
No, just a little hesitant to muck with system design. Am I being too cautious?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
My knowledge of common-rail fuel systems is very limited & I plan on my not having any "hands on" experience. So I will not comment further on altering/substituting fuel filter.
Have you ever checked the fuel transfer pump pressure/flow?

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,978 Posts
My knowledge of common-rail fuel systems is very limited & I plan on my not having any "hands on" experience. So I will not comment further on altering/substituting fuel filter.
Have you ever checked the fuel transfer pump pressure/flow?
Not sure but I am assuming (I know, bad) that the JD Tech did when he was diagnosing the issue once. Lord knows I paid enough for the service call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
From what I’m understanding, all the recommended models are under 100hp… any particular reason? If I was ready to splurge a little, any models over 100hp? Predef/pre 2013…

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Is this crazy or OK?

2009 JOHN DEERE 5095M
For Sale Price: USD $69,500

Hours: 143
Transmission Type: Quad Range
Rear Remote Hydraulics: 2
Drive: MFWD
2009 John Deere 5095M MFWD, 143 one owner hours, Quad Range, 18.4-R30 rears, 12.4R-24 fronts, mid mount hydraulics and joystick for loader, front fenders, 3pt, QH, 540 PTO, very clean one owner tractor, plastic still on the seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pretty expensive, especially without a loader. Check around online and you can get a better feel for current pricing across the nation.

If you go above 100hp, the physical size gets to be too much. There are some exceptions to this though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I suggested a 5101E I know some may say that is a cheaper version but I think they are rating it around a 100HP. LIke I said neighbor pulls a 9 ft discbine with his and it is not that big of tractor for physical size.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep.

I am running a 5100E, 2240 and a 5400 with mostly CAT1 implements on 28 acres. the 10’ flail will only run on the 5100E along with the 12’ disk. I am not set up to handle the physical size of a larger tractor in some of the tighter spots. I have had no major issues with any of these tractors, but I put about 200 hours total on per year between all three. At some point, it helps having multiple different sized tractors that are close enough in size to run most of the same implement, just in case of breakdown.

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I’m understanding, all the recommended models are under 100hp… any particular reason? If I was ready to splurge a little, any models over 100hp? Predef/pre 2013…
I have a 5105m....the most hp in predef....other than a few of the 5115m's that were only avaliable for a short time......but nothing you mentioned would require over 85 in my opinion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok guys; the search has begun! 5075, 5095, 5105 or 5115 predef… what’s the max hours you guys suggest? And again, thank you all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this crazy or OK?

2009 JOHN DEERE 5095M
For Sale Price: USD $69,500

Hours: 143
Transmission Type: Quad Range
Rear Remote Hydraulics: 2
Drive: MFWD
2009 John Deere 5095M MFWD, 143 one owner hours, Quad Range, 18.4-R30 rears, 12.4R-24 fronts, mid mount hydraulics and joystick for loader, front fenders, 3pt, QH, 540 PTO, very clean one owner tractor, plastic still on the seat.
As a comparison in 2019 I purchased a new 2019 5100M with a loader for $72K. Granted it uses DEF but the price on the one you mention does seem a little high and not include a loader. Last year I bought a one owner 2013 6105M (461 hrs) with a loader for $74K. Not sure if this helps or not but at least its a comparison.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate at a well cared for and serviced, 2 to 3,000 hour tractor, if it was priced accordingly. Have to know the price of a comparative new one to know what the price per hour difference is. You may be better trying to find something under 1,000 hours though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I wouldn't hesitate at a well cared for and serviced, 2 to 3,000 hour tractor, if it was priced accordingly. Have to know the price of a comparative new one to know what the price per hour difference is. You may be better trying to find something under 1,000 hours though.
Thank you! And thank you helping me throughout. Seeing a lot of 5100m’s for sale 2013 and older… is 5095m > 5100m? Again, sorry for the noob questions… just wondering if certain models were better than other for whatever reason.

Also priced our a new 5100R with a loader and a 12’ rotary cutter… $112k!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! And thank you helping me throughout. Seeing a lot of 5100m’s for sale 2013 and older… is 5095m > 5100m? Again, sorry for the noob questions… just wondering if certain models were better than other for whatever reason.

Also priced our a new 5100R with a loader and a 12’ rotary cutter… $112k!
It's been a while since I was a dealer tech so I could be remembering wrong but I think the 5095m was tier 3 emissions vs tier 4 for the 5100m. I would definitely recommend against an early tier 4 tractor if you're getting a tractor with emissions equipment get as new as you can. Or buy something pre dpf (5095 5105)

The 5r series was just coming out when I left the delearship so I don't know too much about them but between a 5m and a 5e the 5m is a much better built tractor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
This entire time I’m searching for older Deere tractors thinking ALL new diesel Deer’s have DEF. Otherwise I’m definitely interested in a new 5R without DEF… would that be the 5095 or 5100?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This entire time I’m searching for older Deere tractors thinking ALL new diesel Deer’s have DEF. Otherwise I’m definitely interested in a new 5R without DEF… would that be the 5095 or 5100?
Sorry for the confusion. Any new tractor your going to get in that size is going to have DEF. All 5r tractors are going to be new enough to need DEF.

What I was referring to are what are known as Interim Tier 4 tractors, the first round of heavily emissionized tractors that have DPFs but do not take DEF and are in fact worse than the tractors that take DEF. I think the 5100m is one of those tractors that has a DPF but does not take DEF but I do not remember for sure. Where a 5095M is a tier 3 tractor so it has minimal emissions equipment.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts