Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy haytalkers! My wife and I are about to close on an 80 acre farm which is half field and half forest. Western Mass, New England. I need a tractor. I need it to do it all, but don’t want an overkill nor something weak that if I spent $10k more I’d be happier. My entire family is from Ukraine and farming was their everything, except they had no machinery yet made a living. So I need my dad amazed. We’re going all out from crops to livestock so this tractor needs to be the workhorse on the farm. We’ll have horses too. I was looking at the 4066r but then all the 6 series make it look like a joke. Hit me with the best one to go for. ~$60,000 sounds good. I only want John Deere because they sing songs about them. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Everything from cultivating to plowing snow. And everything in between: clearing up forest if need be.
I'm not trying to talk down to you, but there's really a lot of info you're not thinking about when asking the question.

Cultivating 80 acres? Row crops? Running a harvester like a corn chopper or similar? Hay? What kind of bales? The 4066 is probably not suitable for any of those tasks.

Clearing woods means what? Making trails? Grinding stumps? Digging ditches? Grappling? Brush hogging? The 4066 is probably good for most of these tasks.

How much of the 80 acres will be crops and how much is woods?

What's the heaviest thing you think you might need to lift (500# round bale for horses)? Do you need to move it? What kind of terrain are you moving it over? How high do you need to be able to handle it (unload it from a semi trailer)?

Tractors aren't really good for plowing, the FEL is designed to lift things and put them down and really doesn't like to push things it doesn't have too...especially laterally like the forces of a snow plow. Most tractors moving snow will be doing it from the 3PT with a blower or a rear blade.

At the end of the day you may need a skid steer more than a tractor if you're focused on horses and plowing but 80 acres you'll be hating life if you need to drive any kind of distance in one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not trying to talk down to you, but there's really a lot of info you're not thinking about when asking the question.

Cultivating 80 acres? Row crops? Running a harvester like a corn chopper or similar? Hay? What kind of bales? The 4066 is probably not suitable for any of those tasks.

Clearing woods means what? Making trails? Grinding stumps? Digging ditches? Grappling? Brush hogging? The 4066 is probably good for most of these tasks.

How much of the 80 acres will be crops and how much is woods?

What's the heaviest thing you think you might need to lift (500# round bale for horses)? Do you need to move it? What kind of terrain are you moving it over? How high do you need to be able to handle it (unload it from a semi trailer)?

Tractors aren't really good for plowing, the FEL is designed to lift things and put them down and really doesn't like to push things it doesn't have too...especially laterally like the forces of a snow plow. Most tractors moving snow will be doing it from the 3PT with a blower or a rear blade.

At the end of the day you may need a skid steer more than a tractor if you're focused on horses and plowing but 80 acres you'll be hating life if you need to drive any kind of distance in one.
my bad, field is about 30 acres. Half will be a pasture. So let’s assume we’re scattering crops on the other half. I’ll be plowing the main driveway and all with a truck, but the tractor for around the barn and house - it’s on a hill past the driveway next to the field.

nothing crazy in the forest, but if we chop down a tree and want to break it up, I want this tractor to lift up some good chunks.

pretty much need it to be capable for the unplanned around the farm sort of speak. That way when something comes up that I didn’t account for, I’m not left needing another machine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
if it were me...and i am ruleing out subcompact tractors because they are extremely limited on lifting and field work

the first question you probably need to ask yourself is ........Hydro-stat or Gear tractor......the 4066r is the largest JD tractor with Hydro-stat

second thing to consider is .......4series is a large compact tractor and they are very good at doing chore work and reasonable loader work very nimble tractors ..........6series is a AG Farm Field tractor and will do just about anything AG related reasonably well ........you skipped the 5series which fits in the middle

in our area of the country a 5085x + tractor is very popular for small farms and ranches

consider most all tractors will pull some form of plow obviously bigger is faster etc

weight (you can add weight to any tractor) and tire type is a big consideration for field work and any ground engagement work

PTO hp is a critical item to consider as it affects size of mowers. balers...etc

i personally have a 4series size tractor for day to day chores ......and 5 series for more farm type work ....and others for heavy farm work 6 and 7 series .....day in and day out i get on the 4 series more than all the others.....but i sure dont hook it up to big mowers etc

from what you mentioned i would probably go with a 5085x thru 5115x or give up some field capability and step down to the 4066x

since your JD specfic you might want to visit greentractortalk.com and read up

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wanting a John Deere because they sing songs about them is no sillier that the reasons many of us have John Deeres! Your willingness to pay the "green paint tax" puts you in good company round here. (Disclosure: I have 3 of them.) 80 acres is enough land to do real tractor work, and it sounds like you want to. 4066 has power but is designed for yard chores rather than field work. It's nimble and handy round the yard, sure, but you would find youself looking for something better for heavier work. A 6000 series is overkill for your needs, unless you have deep pockets. So for you I think the "Goldilocks" option is the 5000 series. My neighbour has just bought a 5075E open station for his 40 acre block and he loves it, but he is not doing the range of work you are planning. I would suggest something like a 5090M, with cabin (for working in bad weather), front wheel assist (better for front loader work, plus traction in mud and snow), and the 16x16 transmission to give you plenty of gear options which you need for field work (and the reverser is good for front loader work). A tractor like that would do absolutely anything you might need: heavy cultivation, mower-conditioner, round or small square baler, front loader work, anything. And it wouldn't be too big and unwieldy for light jobs.

Roger

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
my bad, field is about 30 acres. Half will be a pasture. So let’s assume we’re scattering crops on the other half. I’ll be plowing the main driveway and all with a truck, but the tractor for around the barn and house - it’s on a hill past the driveway next to the field.

nothing crazy in the forest, but if we chop down a tree and want to break it up, I want this tractor to lift up some good chunks.

pretty much need it to be capable for the unplanned around the farm sort of speak. That way when something comes up that I didn’t account for, I’m not left needing another machine.
If I'm reading this right, you're cropping about 15 acres? That's not much to do anything on, even for hay. Let alone justification for a $60k tractor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanting a John Deere because they sing songs about them is no sillier that the reasons many of us have John Deeres! Your willingness to pay the "green paint tax" puts you in good company round here. (Disclosure: I have 3 of them.) 80 acres is enough land to do real tractor work, and it sounds like you want to. 4066 has power but is designed for yard chores rather than field work. It's nimble and handy round the yard, sure, but you would find youself looking for something better for heavier work. A 6000 series is overkill for your needs, unless you have deep pockets. So for you I think the "Goldilocks" option is the 5000 series. My neighbour has just bought a 5075E open station for his 40 acre block and he loves it, but he is not doing the range of work you are planning. I would suggest something like a 5090M, with cabin (for working in bad weather), front wheel assist (better for front loader work, plus traction in mud and snow), and the 16x16 transmission to give you plenty of gear options which you need for field work (and the reverser is good for front loader work). A tractor like that would do absolutely anything you might need: heavy cultivation, mower-conditioner, round or small square baler, front loader work, anything. And it wouldn't be too big and unwieldy for light jobs.

Roger
This here the exact reason I registered at the haytalk quarters cuz I know real farmers don’t hang out on Facebook groups and that’s where I’ve been doing most of my independent research. Surprisingly both have yielded the exact same conclusions and the 5 series seems to be the clear winner. Now I can’t bash Facebook too much, because I just learned the difference between row crops and field crops. Field crops is what we’re after and we ain’t doing this for a living nor commercially, just love some freedom with a pasture that my kids can ride horses on and stay far from iPads and the television in the future. Now my friend keeps trying to convince me to get an orange kubota and won’t stop sending me articles that I can’t keep up deleting from my inbox. What’s the main reason you guys tell your friends you went with a Deere? But then again, all my friends told me to get a Ford truck, but I went ahead and ordered a maxed out RAM 3500 Laramie Cummins fully with an 8’ bed. I don’t care, I know that I was born for this. I sincerely do thank you for steering me even closer to a 5 series.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I'm reading this right, you're cropping about 15 acres? That's not much to do anything on, even for hay. Let alone justification for a $60k tractor.
Yeah it’s going to be a good ‘ole family ranch or farm where my parents could move to and all the family comes together while my wife and kids can enjoy the animals and grow organics. My life in America is on a .75 acre subdivision lot while my parents immigrated as generational farmers from Ukraine. I said enough is enough. I’m going all in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if it were me...and i am ruleing out subcompact tractors because they are extremely limited on lifting and field work

the first question you probably need to ask yourself is ........Hydro-stat or Gear tractor......the 4066r is the largest JD tractor with Hydro-stat

second thing to consider is .......4series is a large compact tractor and they are very good at doing chore work and reasonable loader work very nimble tractors ..........6series is a AG Farm Field tractor and will do just about anything AG related reasonably well ........you skipped the 5series which fits in the middle

in our area of the country a 5085x + tractor is very popular for small farms and ranches

consider most all tractors will pull some form of plow obviously bigger is faster etc

weight (you can add weight to any tractor) and tire type is a big consideration for field work and any ground engagement work

PTO hp is a critical item to consider as it affects size of mowers. balers...etc

i personally have a 4series size tractor for day to day chores ......and 5 series for more farm type work ....and others for heavy farm work 6 and 7 series .....day in and day out i get on the 4 series more than all the others.....but i sure dont hook it up to big mowers etc

from what you mentioned i would probably go with a 5085x thru 5115x or give up some field capability and step down to the 4066x

since your JD specfic you might want to visit greentractortalk.com and read up
I appreciate this. Given the details, field crops, 80 total acres, about half field and all the barn animals , hands down - choose one, which 5 series?

·
Registered
174 Posts
if your go look at 5 series's i see no need to go below a 5075x.... i would size it to your future anticitapted PTO hp needs .......for example if you think you might want to run a 15' batwing mower in the future then you probably need a 5085x ...and so on...just depends on what you think you will need

you will find that price will change a lot based on the letter suffix you look at ...(X)...they offer 3 trim levels....E, M and R ......just like cars the higher you go the more it costs for bells n whistles and if your just a occasional user or made of $ i would choose more HP vs a higher Trim level depending on your budget and what they have available

from what you have mentioned i would probably opt for the 5085 for a bit more flexibility but the 5075 carcaju mentioned above would be a good option also ....hopefully you will get more opinions

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,978 Posts
I would get an early JD 5075M or 5085M, 2013 or earlier to avoid most of the emissions crud with the factory correct loader. Mine is a 2wd with 15-38 rears. Open station with factory canopy. Two remotes. Great chore tractor, handles an 8’ heavy blade in snow no problem. Runs heavy duty 10th bush hog

Reactions: Vol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now my friend keeps trying to convince me to get an orange kubota and won’t stop sending me articles that I can’t keep up deleting from my inbox. What’s the main reason you guys tell your friends you went with a Deere?
I'm an orange guy and love them. Neighbor and mentor updated his tractor this spring and bought a 5075 with a new round baler. The tractor is great but the baler is utter garbage and after a whole summer of them coming and fixing it, it can now finally bale 10 acres without breakdown but he's still less than 30 total since their last visit. There is a design flaw in the baler that's utterly apparent and it kept pinching or tearing the hydraulic hose, amazing to me considering Deere's reputation. He tried to get them to take it back after the third visit, one hose failure happened on the fourth bale after one of their repairs and they insist it's assembled correctly.

There's a lot to be said about buying the dealer not the tractor...but research the brand for issues, a new buyer IMHO is a fool not to look at all the brands if for nothing else than understanding the features because each brand's brochure on page one will say "XYZ feature is what sets ABC tractors apart!" Figure out what "XYZ" feature is and why it is or isn't important to you then make choices on what matter to you. Also talk to the sales guys, probably 40% of tractor sales guys (unlike car sales guys) will try and get you in the right tractor for what you need to do.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
sea2summit
Which model rd baler are you referring to? I'll guess it's one of the models that only makes a 5 ft diameter or smaller bale. I have baled over 150,000 bales utilizing JD rd balers which proves some JD rd baler models are very reliable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm an orange guy and love them. Neighbor and mentor updated his tractor this spring and bought a 5075 with a new round baler. The tractor is great but the baler is utter garbage and after a whole summer of them coming and fixing it, it can now finally bale 10 acres without breakdown but he's still less than 30 total since their last visit. There is a design flaw in the baler that's utterly apparent and it kept pinching or tearing the hydraulic hose, amazing to me considering Deere's reputation. He tried to get them to take it back after the third visit, one hose failure happened on the fourth bale after one of their repairs and they insist it's assembled correctly.

There's a lot to be said about buying the dealer not the tractor...but research the brand for issues, a new buyer IMHO is a fool not to look at all the brands if for nothing else than understanding the features because each brand's brochure on page one will say "XYZ feature is what sets ABC tractors apart!" Figure out what "XYZ" feature is and why it is or isn't important to you then make choices on what matter to you. Also talk to the sales guys, probably 40% of tractor sales guys (unlike car sales guys) will try and get you in the right tractor for what you need to do.
I would suggest your neighbor try another dealer. Sometimes they cannot see the forrest for the trees! (The "it can't be my fault). If the entire series were bad they would pull it from the market before ruining their reputation. Just MHO. Good luck getting it fixed. Now back to the OP.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Start another thread on these "issues". We would like to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dang, I already got the truck and the blueprints for the barn, but only further away from the tractor. Now they really got me considering a Kubota M7060 or even M4-071, but what the heck… I want a John Deere.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts