Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen/heard of one of these? http://feeder-leader.com/product/the-boss/ it's a 3 point linkage bale feeder.

My cousin has one and swears by it to feed out round Alfalfa bales which I also need to do.. You can buy them pretty cheap direct rather than through a dealer. Any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Hay Master
1,570 Posts
This year I'm un-rolling the round bales for my cattle, in probably less time than it looks it would take to load then hook up to that thing. After I pull the wrap off, I set the bale down, then drop the forks straight down, & roll the bale until it gets too small for the forks to push. Usually only about the 12 or 18 inch core. (Unless I'm pushed for time, then I'll just drop the bale in a wad of brush I want the cattle to stomp down.)

·
3,916 Posts
This year I'm un-rolling the round bales for my cattle, in probably less time than it looks it would take to load then hook up to that thing. After I pull the wrap off, I set the bale down, then drop the forks straight down, & roll the bale until it gets too small for the forks to push. Usually only about the 12 or 18 inch core. (Unless I'm pushed for time, then I'll just drop the bale in a wad of brush I want the cattle to stomp down.)
Same here. I am mostly feeding in the privet line on a cross fence row.

During the snow I unrolled one on top of the snow. Only takes a minute to unroll one and make feed row. I do not like to unroll unless I have to do so. The calves are quick to make it a bed.

·
Hay Master
1,570 Posts
Same here. I am mostly feeding in the privet line on a cross fence row.

During the snow I unrolled one on top of the snow. Only takes a minute to unroll one and make feed row. I do not like to unroll unless I have to do so. The calves are quick to make it a bed.
Last few years I fed in a ring, seems there was almost as much waste in it as just feeding the same place on the ground. Thought this year, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I'd try unrolling in different places. Seems to be very little waste so far, so if I have time I unroll, like you said it only takes a minute.

·
3,916 Posts
I unrolled almost all my hay last year, especially the last part of the year when I had to buy lesser quality hay. Cows will clean up hay better if unrolled. I was feeding 5 rolls a day. I learned to unroll three in the morning, then 2 in the afternoon. They would spend the day eating the three then spend the night eating the last two.

The one I unrolled on the snow this week had little waste.

I quit the hay rings. It became a muddy mess. I doubt I will ever use rings again unless on a gravel feeding area or on concrete.

I had to buy 119 rolls to finish out the long winter we had last year. 30 of those rolls should never have been called hay but they were part of the deal. If I had not unrolled them they would not have been picked through. In the Spring I raked and baled the left over sage grass and got 14 rolls.

Unrolling also allows us to spread out the fertilizer deposits.

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
Tim, what kind of unroller are you using.

Regards, Mike

·
3,916 Posts
Tim, what kind of unroller are you using.

Regards, Mike
What ever is on the front of the tractor, usually forks or the spear. :)

My land is rolling and I have gotten pretty good and flipping the roll with a spear. Forks are easier, Bobcat is even better. Most of the time it is the spear on the tractor because I also carry a second bale on the rear spear.

My uncle has a Hay Buster that he said I could have. It has been sitting in the weather for 10 years. After the expense of getting the hoses, cylinders and bearings up to snuff I figure I am better off just unrolling.

Plus the HayBuster would keep a tractor tied up. Too much trouble hooking up to that critter.

Like uredneck said, hooking up and loading hay on an unroller type device would take more time than just pushing the roll with the tractor.

·
Hay Master
1,570 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts