Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a junior in high school looking for any advice anyone can offer on getting into selling alfalfa hay to large customers and what would be the best way to get customers and get my name out there. Any advice on how, and what methods to use to advertise and on the best market to target would be greatly appreciated. Located in central missouri. Looking at in state markets an even out of state if can get big enough customers. Just need advice. Thanks

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,895 Posts
Vol-maybe you, Cy, Dawg, JD, Teslan, Ontario and the rest of the senior hay dudes (sorry, no slight intended for leaving out other senior hay dudes) should do a piece on " So you think you want to get into the hay business" and pin it since we are getting this question on a weekly basis. Not mocking the questions or the interest, just think it is coming up so often that maybe a stock answer that responds to these and other points is the best value to the one's asking the questions. Just a thought.

·
10,016 Posts
I'll offer the first suggestion, do a detailed market study, ie. go to feed stores and talk to them to get an idea of what they sell....product and package. Do your homework on the marketing first, then start with land, equipment and money.

Welcome to haytalk Patro.....

·
Super Moderator
8,719 Posts
Well,I got to think back a few yrs.How did I get my hay sold?

I advertised in some local farm type papers.We have a the "On The Farm" paper that goes to every farmer in 4 counties.I've ran a ad in it continusly for 25 yrs.We also have another ad type paper that covers 6 counties with mostly farm stuff that is stuck in about a dozen weekly small town papers called the "Peach"

I did hang a few posters in elevators,etc,where farmers frequent,in the beginning.

I used to take some hay to auctions and sometimes 1 load will lead to a few more loads.

Word of mouth is your best advertiseing,of course you need the first sale.But be honest in your hay.Quality,wieght of bales,bales that are solid with good string or net,not broken bales etc.A shitty bale stuck in middle of load will cost you a customer and you will get a bad reputation.A bad reputation will spread faster then a good one.

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
A shitty bale stuck in middle of load will cost you a customer and you will get a bad reputation. A bad reputation will spread faster then a good one.
Now if that ain't pearls of wisdom, I ain't never heard any :cool: ...... how's that for butchering the Queens language.....double negative and all. :)

Regards, Mike

·
Amateur Dairyman
1,637 Posts
Here people are usually knocking down the door wanting hay. I wouldn't worry much about it start with putting in good quality hay sell a bit here and there maybe advertise eventually word will spread. Or get hooked up with a broker of some sort or find a large dairy and setup a contract

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,999 Posts
Work for a good hay man for a few years, like an apprenticeship. Learn all you can as quickly as possible.

Take the money you make and save all you can to buy equipment or rent land.

Make your move to starting your own business.

You'll know when the time is right.

·
3,917 Posts
Work for a good hay man for a few years, like an apprenticeship. Learn all you can as quickly as possible.

Take the money you make and save all you can to buy equipment or rent land.

Make your move to starting your own business.

You'll know when the time is right.
I second this advice.

I grew up making hay and farming with my dad and grandfather. They would discuss all their options. What I learned by listening became invaluable.

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,999 Posts
After you leave the Hayman you learned from, never forget to thank him, offer him help here and there. Send him a Christmas card. The most valuable asset you can have is knowledge and he gave it to you, and you made money from him while he gave you knowledge

Kind of like getting paid to go to college instead of paying to go to college.
Hang out here often, too. I learned a whole lot. I hope in my short period of learning through making mistakes, I've helped a few here, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts