Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,517 Posts
An hour away just can't be done in your situation. I could list out a million reasons for why, but it's easier for me to just tell you no way, no chance.

I think $10k for your budget is low. Realistically you can expect to spend

1. $3-4k for an old NH square baler (unless you're only doing rounds, then I can't speak to that)
  2. $3-4k for a 9' rotary rake (recommend going with something that has tandem axles).
  3. $1600-2k for a two basket tedder
  4. $3-4k for an old haybine, like a NH479 or 488
  5. $1000-1500/hay wagon or
  6. $3k for flatbed trailer to transport round bales
  7. $6-15k on tractor
This doesn't include the litany of other things you need like tools, straps, annual maintenance (fluids, oils, and fuel), repairs ($$$), a truck, barn/storage shed, twine, moisture probe.

This might be helpful for you as well so you know what you're getting in to:

· Registered
1,517 Posts
With a disc mower you only get the speed if your tractor has a good field gear for that speed, and if your field is smooth enough to go that speed. The disadvantage of a disc mower is you don’t get conditioning which adds to your dry time.

Haybones are obsolete but for small acreage they’re still just fine. I mow 5 mph with my 488 and that amounts to about 3 acre/hr. The fastest field gear my tractor has is 6 mph so I wouldn’t be gaining a lot plus I’d have no conditioning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts