Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Hay Master
1,164 Posts
An hour away just can't be done in your situation. I could list out a million reasons for why, but it's easier for me to just tell you no way, no chance.
  1. $3-4k for an old NH square baler (unless you're only doing rounds, then I can't speak to that)
  2. $3-4k for a 9' rotary rake (recommend going with something that has tandem axles).
  3. $1600-2k for a two basket tedder
  4. $3-4k for an old haybine, like a NH479 or 488
  5. $1000-1500/hay wagon or
  6. $3k for flatbed trailer to transport round bales
  7. $6-15k on tractor
Just to throw a few more options out there:
2. Rotary rake would be ideal. But you can pick up an old NH 257 roll-a-bar for less than $1000 or even a 3 point / four-wheel rake for less than $500. Not ideal, but could make it work for small acreage.
3. I sold a two-basket tedder for $500 last year in decent condition. Just have to keep looking for bargains and be ready to buy when you find them.
4. For low HP tractors, I would also consider a four head disc mower.

· Hay Master
1,164 Posts
What’s the benefit of disc mowers vs haybines?
SPEED about 5 + times the speed.
Disc mower just cuts the hay and lays it down. Haybine uses a sickle type mower to cut and then conditions the hay. Conditioning the hay entails either crushing the stems by running it through two rotating rollers or breaking the stems by flails. Since you indicated you would be baling grass hay, conditioning is not as critical as, say, if you were baling alfalfa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts