Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ground-driven or PTO-driven bar rake. What’s your preference, and why? I’m shopping.
I’ll bale less than 10-12 acres. Hilly ground. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Both pto and hydraulic drive provide the flexibility of altering basket speed independent of ground speed, but there is still much to be said for the simplicity of ground drive.

·
Registered
528 Posts
How many fields in the 10 to 12 acres, and what shape are they? Ground drive trailing rakes work best in large, rectangular fields. 3 point, PTO rakes are handy is small, odd-shaped fields.

Roger

·
Registered
137 Posts
lot of good comments above......i think both would work in hilly ground......power rakes do much better job in heavy hay at slow ground speeds and on corners, harder to hook up and maintain....a ground drive rake are pretty much more common and simple foolproof do great in lighter hay if they have a dolly wheel you can pull them with anything in a pinch even horses ...

of power bar rakes there are several types ....pto drive and hydraulic drive ....3pt and hitch pull.....requireing specific tractor specs to run

in our area of the country every hay farmer has a old ground drive bar rake in the back of his shed coverd in dirt to use as a backup including me (got a 40+yr old AllisC belt drive actually got it out last year for a round or two, it cost me $100 when i bought it + 1 drive tire and some teeth since i bought it used years ago, no gear boxes to worry about)

·
198 Posts
I have raked hundreds of acres with a ground drive $400 New Idea belt rake that I bought almost 20 years ago. It sits outside and the belt has lasted 20 years and still going. I know they are not fancy or stylish, but for 10 acres, it will do the job.
However, as someone said, for tiny patches of irregular fields, a 3 pt PTO rake is pretty handy....but you will need a ground drive PTO setting. Live PTO runs them too fast in my experience.

·
1,389 Posts
I have used 3 point hitch PTO drive rakes for 35 years, and have been very pleased with the versatility!
I ran a NH 57 bar rake for many years, then upgraded to a Kuhn 300 rotary rake!
The one thing that I learned early on was to shift up and throttle back!
HTH, Dave

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes the ground drive gearboxes on rakes are very dependable as long as gearbox contains correct amount of lubricant. IMHO pto/3 pt rakes are more difficult to utilize than towed type but that may just be ME:D
Yeah I had a 3 point PTO driven rolabar rake and couldn't get rid of it fast enough... a pull type will "turn into the corner" as you rake, keeping a consistent corner (more or less). A 3 pt. mounted rake will swing the opposite way in the turn, making the curve in the windrow worse and to the opposite side... and in corners, it makes "bell shaped" corners that make it a big PITA to bale around corners. If you're in a big, flat, straight sided field and pick it up after each pass and turn around, the 3 pt. rake would be okay. If you're baling odd-shaped fields or fields with lots of obstructions you have to dodge around or irregular fields or anything like that, you'll quickly hate the 3 point rake because your windrows will be snaking all over the place. Plus in heavy hay, the 3 point PTO belt drive cover was blocking the basket and ending up causing problems getting the windrow to roll, because too much hay was hitting the shield... in thin hay, no problem, but if you're rolling a bigger windrow to feed a round baler, well, it's a mess. Pull types have the entire basket front wide open so its no problem with them!

That's my experience anyway... OL J R :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pull types are pretty much foolproof and you can pull them behind anything that has a drawbar hole. I prefer my old wheel rake to the bar rake, it seems to keep the hay fluffed up and looser windrows. I do about 10 acres at least twice a year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you are using a 3 point mounted rake that does not pivot, you have to turn corners as wide as you can, in a really gentle curve. I have had a NH57 mounted rolabar rake for 40 years and it's a good thing, especially in small, odd-shaped fields.

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts