Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Hay Master
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bundled bales and used a hand banded to keep them together. I'm wanting to send a load to delaware for a friend and don't want to invest in a bandit or baron. Just wondering if they would stay together?

1,334 Posts
I’ve fixed broken bundles in most every way I can think of. Keeping them together is pretty easy. If your goal is a package of bales tight enough to handle with a machine, well that’s the tough part.

· Registered
173 Posts
I had the same idea. I bought a manual strap binder with metal crimps off of Amazon but haven't tried it. I was going to use two sides of my grapple and secure a 10 foot box against my corner and brace fence posts to get a squeeze on two sides, then I was going to use a super heavy rachet strap for the entire 10 bale set to try and get 4 sides compressed. Once that was done, I was going to release the grapple and then bind the set with the plastic strap binding I got off of amazon. I was then going to set on the trailer then release the rachet strap. While it may not be super tight, it would cause them to not fall off. Of course, you would still need big ratchets going across each 10 bale stack that would be 5+ high. The one concern I had was if the strap broke while in transport due to shifting, bumping, etc. It seems that the grapples that do the twine around the bundle use string and far less susceptible to breaking. If you could get a good compression, string tie might be cheaper and better. You just need a good knot. Let us know if you get something to work. Hydraulic table would be good and could do all 4 sides, but by the time you buy all of that, you would be better off with the grapple that ties in my opinion.

· Registered
173 Posts
That's a nice find and exactly what you would want. I went to his facebook page and saw a better video and saw his price was $7,500. If you don't have or can afford an accumulator this is a nice alternative. String tie grapple is about $9500.00 for the 10 bale version but you have to have a $14,000 accumulator to make grapple tie work the best. That means you are doing it in the field though. If they are in the barn loose, then this video link is a better choice.

I question if my fence post idea would even work now. Two big trees would be more like it. A trash dumpster with two sides cut out, reinforced and slipped into a rail system could be a cheaper starting point based on this design.

I will keep thinking about it though. :)

5,757 Posts
Spanish / Portuguese companies have been making the manual load hydraulic squeeze bundlers just like that one since 2010 or so. See them in the European / UK ag classifieds regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts