Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever baled hemp straw before?

This was my first go at it, it was combined last fall, just clipped the heads off. I baled 300 acres of it yesterday.

The straw was swathed the other day with a 35' MacDon swather.

I went in and baled it with my 568 Deere.

Interesting crop for sure, I'd be curious to hear about tips or tricks from others that have baled this stuff before.

Considering baling 1,000 acres more of it this fall.

Attachments

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
I would like to know how one markets hemp as it's legal to grow here in Colorado now.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That one I don't know.

This was just custom baling 300 acres for a friend.

I wasn't around when it was grown or combined.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a cash crop that is sold for the seed or grain as well as the fibre is used to make textiles, rope, particle board all kinds of stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,695 Posts
It's a cash crop that is sold for the seed or grain as well as the fibre is used to make textiles, rope, particle board all kinds of stuff.
IIRC they were tryeing to get a hemp plant going in ND? maybe 20 yrs ago.A value added co-op type plant you bought shares in.They couldn't get by all the regulations.It is a different type of hemp it doesn't have near the amount of the THC drug in it.One of the main products was hemp rope.IIRC

·
Hay Master
965 Posts
Farmers grew a lot of it around here for rope during WWII. It went to seed before it was harvested and the old timers say that is why we have such a lot of wild marijuana growing around here.

Incidentally, since I hastily picked a name when I registered for this forum, I have heard of folks around here referring to marijuana as "barnrope". Its a bit embarrassing as I have never had anything to do with that stuff. Kinda like the dog we had whose name was "Whooka". When my 3 year old boy started calling him that, the name stuck. After about 3 years somebody told us a whooka was some sort of marijuana smoking apparatus. Had never heard of that before either. I guess thats what happens when you live a sheltered life. ;)

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bales are used for fibre I believe, clothing and textiles, particle board and other building materials.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.