Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone happen to know if 8 inches off of my hesston 5580 baler would be to much off to where I can't make a full size bale and the baler trys to bog down my tractor and almost kills my tractor if anyone has any answers please help lol

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly you're needing to know if 8'' removed from each belt will limit/lower finished bale size & the answer is ""YES"". Bale forming belts have a suggested length for a very good reason.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly you're needing to know if 8'' removed from each belt will limit/lower finished bale size & the answer is ""YES"". Bale forming belts have a suggested length for a very good reason.
i agree with jim I have been in the situation where i have had to cut an inch or two to square the belt back up would never consider going to 8 inches personally i would be getting worried at 4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info please.

What is your tractor?]
What size bales does the 5580 make?
What do they weigh?
How steep is your country?

Roger
I'm running and 3010 jd
Ita supposed to make 70 in bales but it dosent even make a 66 in bale
Full bale weighs about 1500 lbs buy the bales it's making are around 700lbs
My land is pretty flat

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I seriously doubt increasing bale diameter from 66'' to 70'' will double the bale weight. As I previously stated shorter than specification belt length will cause bales to be less than factory spec's diameter.

·
Hay Master
1,254 Posts
I had an old Hesston 5545 and still had a pdf copy of the manual. There was only a 2" difference between the recommended belt length specification and the minimum belt length specification.

That said, belts stretch over time and on those balers, you can adjust the top idler roller to adjust belt tension. I think what happened is that you took off too much from the length of your belts and they are now reaching the stops before full bale. Once the baler reaches those stops, any attempt to feed more hay into the baler is essentially overfilling it.

So, I would try to see if there is any adjustment to the top idler roller and then recognize that you can no longer roll a full size bale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts