Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recent years , netwraps are bursting in Texas and Oklahoma ,but in Missouri 、Nebraska 、Kansas and South Dakota,the Netwraps are good ,not happen to burst, i have research the UV data in NASA website,and the data of UV in Missouri 、Nebraska and South Dakota is higher than Texas and Oklahoma,so the netwraps in higher UV states are ok, but in Texas and Oklahoma are not good,so i want to know the reason of netwraps in Texas and Oklahoma every year happen to burst

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Are you comparing same brand of net wrap?

The same crop (eg straw takes more wraps of NW in MY area)?

The same baler?

The same density settings?

Maybe I'm confused, is also a possibility :huh:

Larry

Reactions: haoyou110 and Vol

·
4,348 Posts
Several years ago I bought a 1/2 a skid of net wrap and I did not store much hay outside I had no problem with it but I sold a role of net wrap to my neighbor and he stores all his hay outside and he had several bales break open. The dealer whose I bought the net wrap from got the money from the company and they bought the hay that broke open from my neighbor. It was Tama tech Net wrap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have made a lot of experments,such as man-made aging test,choose the Q-LAB QUV instrument to test,and the irriationis 1.55w/nm/m2 UVA340 lamp,according to 1800 hours ,the tensile force of the netwrap is ok,andthe tensile force retention rate is above 85%. then we have put the newrap to high uv exposure field,and 1year later,the tensile force retention rate is above 85%.but somefarmers in Texas said,the netwrap can not use 3 monthand burst,so itis a inconceivable,the netwrap is use virgin HDPE resin,and add anti-uv additives (additives produce by BASF),maybe there is some. reasons to lead to netwrap break.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The same baler?

Larry

The same baler?

Larry
every time,the farmers aslo said netwrap break,but not tell us the reason,and not talk about what crop ,maybe they have no idea to distinguish different crops and choose more wraps to netwrap.they always said the netwrap is not good, some netwrap bursting not by sun ,but also by man-made operation to lead the netwrap burst.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
As I stated when I replied to your similar post I've had very small amount of problems with Tama netwrap deteriorating from the sun. Some of my bales have been stored outside in the N Texas sun for over 2 yrs. I've seen some solid white net that didn't last the 1st year without some deterioration. Back when I was younger I baled 4500-5500 rd netwrapped bales per yr. YMMV.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,918 Posts
The best way to make net burst on a bale is to make a bale that is not uniformly filled across its width, with too much chamber pressure, and put too little net on for the circumstances. Do that in cornstalks and you can make nearly every bale burst.

There is one odd situation I have seen, very dry tight cornstalk bales bursting the net some what after a prolonged period of wet weather. My assumption is that the material in the bale expanded when it took on moisture.

·
Super Moderator
8,704 Posts
The best way to make net burst on a bale is to make a bale that is not uniformly filled across its width, with too much chamber pressure, and put too little net on for the circumstances. Do that in cornstalks and you can make nearly every bale burst.

There is one odd situation I have seen, very dry tight cornstalk bales bursting the net some what after a prolonged period of wet weather. My assumption is that the material in the bale expanded when it took on moisture.
Yes the bales will expand and cause issues,never heard it in stalks but it can be problem in rotor wheat straw esp with NH baler cranked tight and under 3 wraps,we recommend 4 in that situation.

·
They say you’re a man of vision....
3,049 Posts
recent years , netwraps are bursting in Texas and Oklahoma ,but in Missouri 、Nebraska 、Kansas and South Dakota,the Netwraps are good ,not happen to burst, i have research the UV data in NASA website,and the data of UV in Missouri 、Nebraska and South Dakota is higher than Texas and Oklahoma,so the netwraps in higher UV states are ok, but in Texas and Oklahoma are not good,so i want to know the reason of netwraps in Texas and Oklahoma every year happen to burst
I think you better re-examine a few things, UV rays higher in Northern states than Southern? Better tell that to the Equator then....

Reactions: IHCman

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,918 Posts
I think you better re-examine a few things, UV rays higher in Northern states than Southern? Better tell that to the Equator then....
All areas of the earth receive the same hours of daylight per year. The angle of the sun is different at the higher latitudes, which would reduce UV exposure some. Another factor is altitude. Higher altitude = higher UV intensity.

·
3,049 Posts
All areas of the earth receive the same hours of daylight per year. The angle of the sun is different at the higher latitudes, which would reduce UV exposure some. Another factor is altitude. Higher altitude = higher UV intensity.
Correct, those areas closer to the Equator have pronounced higher levels of UV radiation as they are closer to the Sun. That's why we have 2 ice caps at the North and South Pole.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yes the bales will expand and cause issues,never heard it in stalks but it can be problem in rotor wheat straw esp with NH baler cranked tight and under 3 wraps,we recommend 4 in that situation.
+1 on the rotor straw, seems almost like a over compressed spring, something has to give if not enough wraps. They are something to see after the explosion too, wouldn't think it would that big of a pile.

Larry

Reactions: haoyou110

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you better re-examine a few things, UV rays higher in Northern states than Southern? Better tell that to the Equator then...
i said the uv radiant exposure in 2018,the Missouri and Nebraska are higher than Texas and Oklahoma,not all the northern states,you can look at the data from NASA website,i will give you the website,and in 2018, the uv of Florida is not higher than Missouri. NASA website:https://power.larc.nasa.gov/data-access-viewer/

·
3,049 Posts
Are they bursting every year or just one year in the last five? Lots of variables that we are lacking before passing judgement on the net wrap.

·
3,912 Posts
How many times a roll is handled can also be a factor.

If a person is carrying them to the barn from the field and only handling them again to feed is less stressful on the net Compare that to someone hauling them home, unloading, loading again to sell, buyer unloading and handling again to feed.

A loose, floppy roll will come apart quicker than a nice tight well formed roll. If you spear the roll and it sags then it is time to gear down and move slow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are they bursting every year or just one year in the last five? Lots of variables that we are lacking before passing judgement on the net wrap.
from 2015 to 2019,at sep every year,there would happened to burst in Texas and Oklahoma,famers will not check the netwrap,but they see the bursting,they must to say,the netwrap was broken by UV,not check other factors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How many times a roll is handled can also be a factor.
If a person is carrying then to the barn from the field and only handling them again to feed is less stressful on the net Compare that to someone hauling them home, unloading, loading again to sell, buyer unloading and handling again to feed.
A loose, floppy roll will come apart quicker than a nice tight well formed roll. If you spear the roll and it sags then it is time to gear down and move slow.
each time we did not know how times the roll handled,but dealer sent the picture to me,which the bale was laying in field not to move to barn,and all tof these bursting bales expanded at middle,not the both ends.

·
3,049 Posts
each time we did not know how times the roll handled,but dealer sent the picture to me,which the bale was laying in field not to move to barn,and all tof these bursting bales expanded at middle,not the both ends.
from 2015 to 2019,at sep every year,there would happened to burst in Texas and Oklahoma,famers will not check the netwrap,but they see the bursting,they must to say,the netwrap was broken by UV,not check other factors.
Well that clears it right up then doesn't it?

·
428 Posts
Clear as mud.
Im In Texas, and I bale a lot of rolls per year withe Tama wrap by john deere and pritchett wrap from Swmnhay. I have never had a roll explode. As Jim stated, I have left hay stacked outside for two or more years and not had rolls explode. My two cents.

Scott

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.