Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Preparing to use my slice option on some Sudan mix that got stalky, I entered the monitor program to check where the insert and retract are set. (I’ve used the knives a few times but only just on a few bales to try them and never have actually entered the monitor program for them until now) When I get to item 3 to check insert size, I can cycle through the options and set it as the BC manual instructs. However, when I switch to withdrawal size, I get just a 4 and the three dashes that would otherwise indicate that I don’t have slice. How can this occur? There’s no doubt the baler indeed is equipped with knives and I would’ve thought a harness problem wouldn’t have let me select insert size, though maybe I’m assuming wrong. Ideas on this irregularity?

This is the square box monitor on a 644.

·
2,628 Posts
Strange indeed. Will the knives extend and retract when you push the buttons? I guess you pressed the plus and minus buttons to see if that would make it change. To see if the system is operational, place a magnet over the tailgate sensor and make sure the tailgate triangle is not flashing. With the knife system turned on, slowly raise the tailgate. As the tailgate opens the bale size shown will increase. See if the knives will insert at the set bale size and then see if they will retract before the full bale size is reached.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I tried a different monitor. That didn’t help. (And I had tried the + and - buttons)

Manual extend and retract both function. With the tailgate magnet trick, it will automatically engage at the set size. It will not automatically kick out even at full bale size.

I’m going to start baling and see how annoying it is to try to remind myself to retract it each time manually.

·
2,628 Posts
Forgot to mention about calibrating the potentiometer, item 15 in the menu. In short, enter menu item 15, with the knife actuator in the home position the screen should show between 20 and 30, according to the book, The potentiometer can be calibrated outside of that range to a certain extent. To calibrate press and hold the minus key until the alarm sounds. Extend the actuator fully and then press and hold the plus key until the alarm sounds. Now see if menu item 4 can be changed.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I baled 30 bales in “manual” before I somehow had the floor roll sprocket try to divorce itself from the floor roll. I welded it solid and then it immediately started to rain.

But that gave me plenty of time to try calibrating after I was shut down for the day and unfortunately calibrating it doesn’t change book 4 being locked out.

·
2,628 Posts
Did you ever see 255 when calibrating? Post or PM me your serial number and I will check with NH. What number was displayed when calibrating the retracted position?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever see 255 when calibrating? Post or PM me your serial number and I will check with NH. What number was displayed when calibrating the retracted position?
Would the 255 have been a value in the travel or something else? Calibration range was 23 to 171. I will check my serial in the morning. Thanks again.

·
2,628 Posts
When calibrating did you get a tone when you pushed and held the plus or minus button. Of all the suggestions I received this would be the only one I can not verify. You should hear the alarm and the triangle should stop flashing when the calibration is complete.

My though is there is more than likely a problem in the controller. If you are wanting to use the bale slice in the future I would send the controller to AgExpress and have them check it out. If there is nothing wrong the charge will be minimal and if there is something wrong they can repair it.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get the tones on plus and minus and it sounds like it did complete the calibration. I will send it away this winter probably. I don’t use slice often so I’ll easily make it to the end of the season, even if I decide to use my manual method of running the slice a few times.
Thank you for digging into it. I’ll try to remember to post any follow up here if we learn something from AgExpress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts