Hay & Forage Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Good one to show folks WHY you don't want to be under a tree during a lighting storm. ;)

Unfortunately cows don't listen, a long time ago, we lost a couple that way (lighting & under a tree that got hit). Glad you didn't lose an critters.

Larry

Reactions: BWfarms

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,246 Posts
I started my birthday out with a bang... literally. A bolt of lightning struck a pine tree 20 feet from Dad's house knocking out TVs, receptacle to a paddle fan, Internet, Dish, etc. Dad and I live 4.5 miles apart on the same latitude so I knew it was a whopper over there. I went over to check things after checking radar to see if the storm passed. I check the tree out in the dark.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5202.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5204.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5206.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5207.JPG

I checked to make sure my water was good and decided I will try to count the herd in the dark. I walked out into the pasture and started counting black cows in the dark... got halfway through and lightning was ramping up and I said screw this and went home. As I'm wide awake at this point I turned the TV on trying to tire myself out. The lamp dimmed low and a simultaneous flash of light out the blinds followed by a nanosecond boom that rattled my toy tractors, one of those that you can feel the shock in your chest. The strike hit in the pasture, if I had to estimate it was maybe 100'. There was another strike that hit close as well, probably 300 yards away. Woke up before sunrise and went out to look around a bit later. All was well at my house.

Went to Dad's, aka my main farm. I counted my herd there and came up one short, a registered bull and I thought chit. I found him, he was off on his own lolly gagging. The tree was the only damage I could find, well I didn't look that hard. So here's a couple of daylight pics. It's hard to see but there's a crease all the way to the top. The ground picture shows the shrapnel flying across the yard. If you look close you will see shreds resting at the base of the furthest trees, there are some bits past them.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5220.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5221.JPG

Despite an inch and a half of rain, ground is relatively hard.
Way back when I was a little shaver, we had lightning hit the house at the ranch dad was working for at the time. It turned the valley tin opposite direction, melted all the electrical wire in the attic with only insulation left, threw the telephone box out in the yard. Mom actually seen a ball of lightning float across the room. I guess it made on hell of a racket, but I did not hear a thing, as I was asleep. That lightning is a powerful thing.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
June 1st to July 19th I have had 4" of rain of which 1.7" came in about 20 minutes on June 2nd. July 20th to 9 pm July 31st. 7.5"!

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,991 Posts
Yeah just woke up to the tropical storm. Hate it for anyone who doesn't need rain, but sans a big flood, I welcome the rain for second cutting production and yield.
We've been getting plenty of rain and my fields look dark green, thick and ready to yield nicely.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,246 Posts
You guys that to wet can send it to Wyoming; we could use a little moisture. What little rain we have gotten was barely enough to get the ground kinda wet let alone saturated. It is dry as popcorn fart here. We were just told to cut back on how much water we were using the other day, and the guys that have pivots have been told that they are to water every other day. The is not a lot of water coming down the river. I will be glad when we can shut off the water for the year, this irrigating is starting get old. I had noticed that the blackbirds were starting to gather here last week.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Got a little over 2", since Saturday afternoon HERE, 4-5 miles north at feed store, closer to 6". One storm yesterday morning, I got .50" and the store got over 2", causing lots of temporary flooding for the ducks.

Larry

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.