1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's probably some advantage to the sulfur application you get with gypsum but that's really it. There's a power plant 40ish miles from home that sells it for $1/ton. At first I was overly excited when I found this out but when I figured my own trucking cost with application cost the end effective benefit wasn't there. Better to buy Ag lime and roll on

·
420 Posts
I've had very few applications where gypsum is the ideal soil amendment. Usually if the soil is calling for the added calcium, it's a low pH too so we'll just put hi-cal lime on for the added calcium and increased pH.

The sulfur is applied with our commercial fertilizer.

The only real benefit I've seen from gypsum is lighter soils (calcium is a large element when compared to magnesium, so it makes a lighter soil), and a greener crop caused by the additional sulfur.

I'd stick with lime but "to each, his own." Whatever works best for you.

·
235 Posts
I'll say this , gypsum is something you use with ime . gypsum wont fix your ph problems . and its also a process , not a quick fix . I'm on the 7th year of using it and have seen dramatic improvement . you get the calcium and sulfer and the ground is more of a sponge . water , fert . it takes less to do more now is what I'm saying I guess . I have been putting 2 tons acre for 3 rounds now . 6 years .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.