Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the west side of Michigan and have located a piece of hay equipment for sale, a little over the border, from Detroit, in Canada. It is a good looking piece of equipment and the price is where I need it to be. I know that it has to be clean, but am wondering what other hurdles there are. The dealer says that I should use a broker, but I really don't want to involve anyone else or see the need. I have read older forms on this and everyone says that it should be easy and painless, however, things change and times change. Does anyone have any recent experience with this or know anything about it?
Thanks for any info.
Kurt

23 Posts
I haven't bought anything in Canada since the pandemic, but older equipment up there is more varied, better conditioned and price is right. Over the past 20 years, I bought a JD 2750, a bale wrapper, a bale grabber, Vicon tedder, a MF 124 baler, an IH 37 baler (bad choice!) had a loader built for my JD 2240 taken over and returned. For the tractor, I used a broker. everything else was under $2500 dollars. Most of the time, we would chat with customs and I would be waved over with no fee. Once or twice, I was charged something minimal (like $13). If it was something more expensive, I would use a broker--regulations and requirements for electronic bills of lading are required. In the tractor case, I had a local equipment dealer who marketed stuff made in Canada do the hauling and it was well worth the fee he charged me. BTW, I live in Vermont 5 miles from the Quebec border. Lots of nice farms just across the line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts