Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in June, what's your view in your area regarding square bale hay inventories for 2021? A lot of folks cut around here in mid May and locked-in excellent quality hay, but lower yields. Still - there is much hay to be cut and baled. Here in my neck of the woods (Western VA mountains), much hay is still standing, including almost all of ours due to continuous thunderstorms and showers on a daily basis. The hay I do see going up, like last weekend, appears to be mostly round bales. This late cut, coupled with near drought (the thunderstorms and showers don't make a dent in the dryness) makes IMHO for scant second cuttings.

Question is - are square bale hay inventories in your area low? Is there enough square bale hay inventory from last year's glut to fill the supply? Are we heading into the fall with a hay shortage?

What's your feel for the above?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Bill

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,895 Posts
Here in June, what's your view in your area regarding square bale hay inventories for 2021? A lot of folks cut around here in mid May and locked-in excellent quality hay, but lower yields. Still - there is much hay to be cut and baled. Here in my neck of the woods (Western VA mountains), much hay is still standing, including almost all of ours due to continuous thunderstorms and showers on a daily basis. The hay I do see going up, like last weekend, appears to be mostly round bales. This late cut, coupled with near drought (the thunderstorms and showers don't make a dent in the dryness) makes IMHO for scant second cuttings.

Question is - are square bale hay inventories in your area low? Is there enough square bale hay inventory from last year's glut to fill the supply? Are we heading into the fall with a hay shortage?

What's your feel for the above?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Bill
Been too busy to worry about the Jones making hay but casual observations around here there is a lot of hay standing. I finished first cutting with 63% of the crop I got last year. I haven't seen anyone else making squares, too much work, no labor. Other than mine, everything I have seen made was rolls, almost all were 4 x 5s. First cutting is very thin like it just did not tiller out, there is plenty of plant population it was just too darn dry and too cold for over a month and a half before cutting. And while I have topdressed everything and got a good shower on it, there has been no following showers and we have had 90 degree highs for 4 or 5 days. Hopefully the next three days will bring a little precip. Like you, not seeing a bodacious second crop on the horizon unless something changes. I am guessing there is going to be a square bale shortage this year. Hay is already past prime if it is OG or fescue and timothy has headed out.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,895 Posts
Pouring here now. When it started the weather said 10% chance. Guess we got over a 1/4”. I’ll take it with a 😀

·
5,710 Posts
We had an exceptionally dry year last year in north east of North America. Everyone’s barns are empty. Crop so far this year looks good. Lot of pastures and old fields were plowed and put into hay though. I’ve cut 12 acres of my worst fields now, they are still going to double last years yield I believe. Some of my good fields are going to be 3x last years yield.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Late frost , then very warm, then cool again ,then dry . All this caused Bermuda to seed when it was only 6” - 10” tall. Most people around here cut a very light first cutting trying to reset the plant. Now it is raining every day. Maybe this will give us a decent second cutting. At present hay numbers don’t look good but we still have a lot of time to make some good numbers.

·
Registered
New Holland TN 75 / 60, Vermeer tm 700, Claas 52, Class 350, JD 450, NH 316 hoelschler accumalator
7 Posts
We are off by 50% due to the cold and dry weather, we started cutting early and had some good quality but really down on count. Very few square bales have gone up around me so far this year. Still waiting on alfalfa to start growing drilled it in the middle of April, and just starting to see enough growth to maybe spray it next week.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
To early to tell. Have yet to cut a single field for dry but other day wife and I walked through one to get a calf hay was to my shoulders. That's an easy 5' height. Making me feel more optimistic about our yields.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here in SW Ontario the small square inventories were tight late last winter into the spring. I found the prices I got from smaller buyers 20-100 bales out of the barn and delivered were quite good compared to the large rounds I sold direct off the field. My plan is to get some squares in the barn this summer when my nephews are out of school.

Prices are up from 0.06 delivered to 0.10 CAD off the field so far. I've just cut my first 30 acres into large rounds, sold about 1/2 of it off the field. The rest is in the barn.

My instinct is that some marginal hay lands have been switched over to corn and beans to capture some high prices in those markets, and this will play into all local hay markets, regardless of weather.

·
Super Moderator
8,715 Posts
Alfalfa is 60-90% of normal
Grass hay is poor from what I’m hearing from customers 60% is pretty common.

Our weather is like August with very scattered rains and 95 degrees every day with wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts