Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I am meeting with my local seed supplier today. Last fall they mixed what was supposed to be an 80% alfalfa 20% timothy mix with fertilizer. We seeded everything as they instructed and had good weather. As the first cut matured, it looks like pure timothy. I had a few small patches of alfalfa and other than that it was less than one plant per 20 sq/ft (at the most!). I contacted the seed supplier and excuse after excuse after excuse followed. On our first cut of the 7 acres we made 76, 4' X 4' round bales. The bales are almost pure timothy! My supplier first said I had leaf hopper, not true. Then they said I had too many wet spots it drown out the alfalfa... Well, looking at the cut of 76 round bales of TIMOTHY, it is pretty clear that the alfalfa was not there from the get go... Any other thoughts before my meeting???

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,675 Posts
What is your location?

What soil and seed bed preparations were done before planting? After planting?

What planting process was used? What was the seed depth after planting?

Any precipitation after planting and when?

Did the alfalfa germinate last fall?

In this part of the world (NW IA) I think fall planting grass and alfalfa is an invitation for failure.

Reactions: Madmetals

·
Registered
156 Posts
We typically save a seed sample for reference.......after one time paying for a timothy/alfalfa and getting timothy/clover in the field.....hard to argue after the fact but it never hurts to invite them to the field...having a good timothy stand is certainly in your favor in the dicussion

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your location?

What soil and seed bed preparations were done before planting? After planting?

What planting process was used? What was the seed depth after planting?

Any precipitation after planting and when?

Did the alfalfa germinate last fall?

In this part of the world (NW IA) I think fall planting grass and alfalfa is an invitation for failure.
Nw ohio. Soil sampling by supplier. Roundup, Tilled, disked, pulvimulched. Floated on with seed supplier equipment and setup. Good rainfall, had about 4" of growth going into winter.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,675 Posts
So the seed was broad cast on with a floater?

Reactions: Madmetals

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the field made 70-some 4x4s off 7 acres in one cutting wouldn’t that be considered a good stand of grass? If the mix was supposed to be 80% alfalfa and only 20% Timothy and you made that many bales I’d say it’s pretty clear their ratio wasn’t close.

let’s say for grins it was supposed to be 20# to the acre of seed. 20% Timothy would be 4#. Hard to believe you get that many bales off 20% of seed while the remaining 80% alfalfa just didn’t perform well. Something not right from the beginning IMHO.

good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the field made 70-some 4x4s off 7 acres in one cutting wouldn’t that be considered a good stand of grass? If the mix was supposed to be 80% alfalfa and only 20% Timothy and you made that many bales I’d say it’s pretty clear their ratio wasn’t close.

let’s say for grins it was supposed to be 20# to the acre of seed. 20% Timothy would be 4#. Hard to believe you get that many bales off 20% of seed while the remaining 80% alfalfa just didn’t perform well. Something not right from the beginning IMHO.

good luck
I agree, it is a hard point to argue with them, I am sure you know that. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts